Zum Nextion - Call sign on splash screen?

Help and support for ZUMSpot Hardware
K1RDD

Zum Nextion - Call sign on splash screen?

Post by K1RDD » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:08 pm

I just set up a ZumSpot Nextion. I already have the OLED model, and set it up the same, except for the display type in the Host Configuration. Then something odd happened.

At one point, I saw my call sign in the gray box on the splash screen next to MMDVM Gateway. At some point during the numerous [Apply Changes], it disappeared.

I've tried both ZumSpot - Raspberry Pi Hat (GPIO) and ZUM Radio-MMDVM for Pi (GPIO) as modem types.
I did an update.
Do I need to reset something to get it back?

KE7FNS

Re: Zum Nextion - Call sign on splash screen?

Post by KE7FNS » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:39 am

Well, it sounds like you've got it configured incorrectly, and you didn't really elaborate on how the Nextion is connected to the board which is critical to providing the correct solution, so I'm just going to assume it is connected to the Nextion port on the modem. If you have it hooked up some other way, then disregard and reply back with that info.

under MMDVMHost Configuration in the configuration

Set MMDVM Display type to Nextion
Set port to modem
Set Nextion Layout to G4KLX

apply changes

Then go into the Expert configuration.

select MMDVMHost

under [modem]
port should be /dev/ttyAMA0

under [TFT Serial]
port should be modem

under [Nextion]
port should be modem

You also didn't mention if you were running the Nextion Driver or not, so that configuration is for WITHOUT it. If you are trying to run it with the Nextion Driver, it requires completely different settings.
All views, comments, posts and opinions shared are entirely my own.

K1RDD

Post by K1RDD » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:28 am

I didn't set up the hardware, it came as a complete kit from HRO.

I didn't set any drivers, it connected without any issues, but I had loaded drivers for the previous Zum on the same computer. I don't know if it loaded all possible drivers, or just OLED drivers.

I did the host config the way you listed, but I did not do any of the Expert settings. I'll try those and see how that goes.

The odd thing is that the call sign was there, and then it wasn't. We'll see if any of these changes make a difference.

Thx.

K1RDD

Post by K1RDD » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:44 pm

All of the settings match what you listed.

The hot spot is not functioning properly.

I set up YSF, hit the parrot, but after a couple minutes the YSF network disappears. Happens with other reflectors as well.

On DMR, I get the 4000 response that I'm connected, but it won't connect to any talkgroups.

I switch back and forth between the two Zumspots and the OLED works fine with the same settings. I'm going to call HRO tomorrow and see if they have any suggestions.

KE7FNS

Post by KE7FNS » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:15 am

K1RDD wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:44 pm
All of the settings match what you listed.

The hot spot is not functioning properly.
All of those settings only deal with the issue of the Nextion screen not functioning due to it being set on an incorrect port and nothing else.
K1RDD wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:44 pm
I set up YSF, hit the parrot, but after a couple minutes the YSF network disappears. Happens with other reflectors as well.

On DMR, I get the 4000 response that I'm connected, but it won't connect to any talkgroups.

I switch back and forth between the two Zumspots and the OLED works fine with the same settings. I'm going to call HRO tomorrow and see if they have any suggestions.
The settings cannot the same as a Zumspot with an OLED, if you had an OLED the MMDVM Display type would be OLED.

Yeah, call HRO, cause I'm not making heads or tails out of what you are saying, you haven't even said if you got the screen working or not. My guess is now you have issues somewhere else.

Heres the manual, and I suggest only changing what they have indicated in the red and black boxes, as some of their screen grabs show incorrect settings in the other areas of the same screengrab. For Example, when they give instructions on how to enable DStar, the nextion settings are incorrect on that page, a layout of ON7LDS L3, requires the NextionDriver to be installed, and the device would be /dev/ttyNextionDriver, and not /dev/ttyAMA0, and infact /dev/ttyAMA0 should be modem for a Nextion connected to the modem anyways.
https://www.hamradio.com/images_managed ... _Guide.pdf

KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:09 pm

KE7FNS wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:15 am
For Example, when they give instructions on how to enable DStar, the nextion settings are incorrect on that page, a layout of ON7LDS L3, requires the NextionDriver to be installed, and the device would be /dev/ttyNextionDriver, and not /dev/ttyAMA0, and infact /dev/ttyAMA0 should be modem for a Nextion connected to the modem anyways.
Yep. It's strange, I sent ZUM Radio an email about this a month ago when the incorrect settings tripped up someone else who posted about having problems with their ZUMspot Nextion kit here on the forum. They replied three weeks ago saying they would fix that and post a new PDF "soon," but....
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm

KE7FNS

Post by KE7FNS » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:52 am

KE0FHS wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:09 pm
Yep. It's strange, I sent ZUM Radio an email about this a month ago when the incorrect settings tripped up someone else who posted about having problems with their ZUMspot Nextion kit here on the forum. They replied three weeks ago saying they would fix that and post a new PDF "soon," but....
Yeah, I was going to point this user to that thread where I helped that guy get his working, but I thought there was too much extra information and they might get lost along the way.

I wonder how many people buy that kit and get frustrated because they can't easily get it working and either return it to HRO or call them? Seems HRO always lists open boxed kits available for a few dollars off on those products.

Looks like ZUM radio needs to take random people and have them follow the instructions and see if they end up with a correctly working hotspot with working screen. I thought about downloading their image and flashing it to see what the default settings are, but I just can't be bothered. I feel they might need to step up on their support though.

KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:32 pm

KE7FNS wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:52 am
Looks like ZUM radio needs to take random people and have them follow the instructions and see if they end up with a correctly working hotspot with working screen.
I agree.
I thought about downloading their image and flashing it to see what the default settings are, but I just can't be bothered. I feel they might need to step up on their support though.
Same here. I emailed them again and this time they replied saying they would be sending a new PDF to HRO soon.

I like Nextion screens, but I personally don't think they're necessary. I have a few around that I test with, but, for example, I could never be bothered to try out the Model 8 driver. One thing I know with my own setups is that when I was testing using a Nextion with the standard driver plugged into the serial/modem through-holes on a ZUMspot, it worked when I selected ON7LDS L2, but it didn't work when I selected ON7LDS L3. I'm unsure if there has been some new update since then that would make using ON7LDS L3 work when the Nextion is plugged into the modem port on the ZUMspot (or maybe it's just requires different HMI/tft files?). Hopefully, they'll actually test things and verify that their PDF settings work for their customers.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS

K1RDD

Post by K1RDD » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:53 pm

Spent all morning trying different combinations of settings, and finally have it working (except the splash screen), with the settings I had originally -
Nextion/modem/G4KLX
ZumSpot - Raspberry Pi Hat (GPIO)

YSF Network has not dropped off, although I've not heard any traffic, but that's not unusual on FCS00312 NewEnglandUSAEast
I'm hitting all the talkgroups I have set up for DMR+_IPSC2-CAN-TRBO, which is limited to 5 at a time

So it works, but I'm still annoyed about the splash screen issue. The working screen shows my call sign, the splash screen does not.

KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:26 pm

It sounds like you need to design your own Nextion screen. Some resources to get you started:
73, Toshen, KE0FHS