Zum Nextion - Call sign on splash screen?

Help and support for ZUMSpot Hardware
K1RDD

Zum Nextion - Call sign on splash screen?

Post by K1RDD »

I just set up a ZumSpot Nextion. I already have the OLED model, and set it up the same, except for the display type in the Host Configuration. Then something odd happened.

At one point, I saw my call sign in the gray box on the splash screen next to MMDVM Gateway. At some point during the numerous [Apply Changes], it disappeared.

I've tried both ZumSpot - Raspberry Pi Hat (GPIO) and ZUM Radio-MMDVM for Pi (GPIO) as modem types.
I did an update.
Do I need to reset something to get it back?
K1RDD

Re: Zum Nextion - Call sign on splash screen?

Post by K1RDD »

I didn't set up the hardware, it came as a complete kit from HRO.

I didn't set any drivers, it connected without any issues, but I had loaded drivers for the previous Zum on the same computer. I don't know if it loaded all possible drivers, or just OLED drivers.

I did the host config the way you listed, but I did not do any of the Expert settings. I'll try those and see how that goes.

The odd thing is that the call sign was there, and then it wasn't. We'll see if any of these changes make a difference.

Thx.
K1RDD

Post by K1RDD »

All of the settings match what you listed.

The hot spot is not functioning properly.

I set up YSF, hit the parrot, but after a couple minutes the YSF network disappears. Happens with other reflectors as well.

On DMR, I get the 4000 response that I'm connected, but it won't connect to any talkgroups.

I switch back and forth between the two Zumspots and the OLED works fine with the same settings. I'm going to call HRO tomorrow and see if they have any suggestions.
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

KE7FNS wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:15 am For Example, when they give instructions on how to enable DStar, the nextion settings are incorrect on that page, a layout of ON7LDS L3, requires the NextionDriver to be installed, and the device would be /dev/ttyNextionDriver, and not /dev/ttyAMA0, and infact /dev/ttyAMA0 should be modem for a Nextion connected to the modem anyways.
Yep. It's strange, I sent ZUM Radio an email about this a month ago when the incorrect settings tripped up someone else who posted about having problems with their ZUMspot Nextion kit here on the forum. They replied three weeks ago saying they would fix that and post a new PDF "soon," but....
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

KE7FNS wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:52 am Looks like ZUM radio needs to take random people and have them follow the instructions and see if they end up with a correctly working hotspot with working screen.
I agree.
I thought about downloading their image and flashing it to see what the default settings are, but I just can't be bothered. I feel they might need to step up on their support though.
Same here. I emailed them again and this time they replied saying they would be sending a new PDF to HRO soon.

I like Nextion screens, but I personally don't think they're necessary. I have a few around that I test with, but, for example, I could never be bothered to try out the Model 8 driver. One thing I know with my own setups is that when I was testing using a Nextion with the standard driver plugged into the serial/modem through-holes on a ZUMspot, it worked when I selected ON7LDS L2, but it didn't work when I selected ON7LDS L3. I'm unsure if there has been some new update since then that would make using ON7LDS L3 work when the Nextion is plugged into the modem port on the ZUMspot (or maybe it's just requires different HMI/tft files?). Hopefully, they'll actually test things and verify that their PDF settings work for their customers.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
K1RDD

Post by K1RDD »

Spent all morning trying different combinations of settings, and finally have it working (except the splash screen), with the settings I had originally -
Nextion/modem/G4KLX
ZumSpot - Raspberry Pi Hat (GPIO)

YSF Network has not dropped off, although I've not heard any traffic, but that's not unusual on FCS00312 NewEnglandUSAEast
I'm hitting all the talkgroups I have set up for DMR+_IPSC2-CAN-TRBO, which is limited to 5 at a time

So it works, but I'm still annoyed about the splash screen issue. The working screen shows my call sign, the splash screen does not.
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

It sounds like you need to design your own Nextion screen. Some resources to get you started:
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
K1RDD

Post by K1RDD »

KE7FNS wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:41 pm
Can you take a photo and post it of what you are describing? Sometimes it takes quite a few seconds for the data to populate when the different pages are redrawn. If its been setting there for 5 minutes on the idle screen, and doesn't display the callsign info, then theres a serious issue with the programming on the screen, and there isn't anything you can really do about it since HRO doesn't provide information to the screen info that is preloaded. It looks like one of PD0DIB's screens, but maybe they modified something in it for their package. You'd have to contact HRO or ZUM Radio and ask them.
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

Rene, K1RDD, I think your best bet would be to either download PD0DIB's files and use the Itead Nextion editor to install them to the Nextion screen or accept things the way they are.

If you want to have fun and actually learn how Nextion screens work (and not just accept what is preloaded by someone else), then I gave all the necessary links in the previous post. Start with the good document that Rob wrote, which explains how to do things:
https://github.com/PD0DIB/Nextion_HAM-r ... _v2.03.pdf
That is what I did. I'm a non-technical person and I was able to figure it out, so I think just about anyone can. It took me awhile to figure it all out, but I found it quite satisfying once I did.

Rene or Jason, KE7FNS, if you want to contact ZUM Radio, you can find the email for Jim, KI6ZUM, on QRZ.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

KE7FNS wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:40 pm But if he does that then he for sure won't be seeing his callsign on the idle screen, but at least it won't be an empty grey box anymore.
He can open the downloaded file in the Itead Nextion Editor and add his callsign. That's fairly simple to do.
I don't really feel like contacting that guy about it, I just assumed from your previous posts and that your website is listed in their instructions, you had some sort of elevated contact than what a random person has.
No, I don't have any special relationship with ZUM Radio. Jim did email me at one point to ask if HRO could link to the instructions on the ZUMspot page. I told him what I tell everyone who asks something similar, which is, sure, as long as an attribution is made in accordance with the terms of the Creative Commons license that I share all my Amateur Radio Notes content under (the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License). Other than that, I simply a customer like anyone else who buys a ZUMspot board.

FYI, I purposely maintain an independence from all the companies and people I write about so that I can share my honest opinions. I buy all the equipment I write about through normal retail channels, and I pay for all the costs of hosting amateurradionotes.com out of my own pocket. (I even paid full price for Pi-Star! ;)

I spent part of my career working as a technical writer. Even though I'm not a developer and don't know how to code, I really enjoy the challenge of figuring things out. I also have loved writing all of my life, which is why I do what I do; it's simply a fun hobby for me.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS