Zumspot MMDVM Nucleo?

Help and support for ZUMSpot Hardware
AK7AN

Zumspot MMDVM Nucleo?

Post by AK7AN »

Are these a Hat that sits on a Raspberry Pi that can be interfaced to a radio the build an extended Hot Spot or area gateway?
Thanks
Ed
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: Zumspot MMDVM Nucleo?

Post by KE7FNS »

AK7AN wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:39 pm Are these a Hat that sits on a Raspberry Pi that can be interfaced to a radio the build an extended Hot Spot or area gateway?
Thanks
Ed
I think, but I'm not positive that these were development boards that people were using a few years ago back before we had a MMDVM GPIO hat PCB designed.

https://www.hamradio.com/images_managed ... 1_2020.pdf
https://www.st.com/en/ecosystems/stm32-nucleo.html
If someones previous actions are any indication of their future actions, then I predict the deletion and removal of access will happen at any moment. 7-11-2020.

"07/13/20 This Website Has Been Taken Down" ... again :lol:
AK7AN

Post by AK7AN »

Thanks for the reply. I read all the documentation on HRO and it doesn't do a real good job of making that clear. I am looking for one that actually does NXDN as I have access to Kenwood VHF NXDN radio's at work. I might take a chance on one of these.
Thanks
Ed
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by KE7FNS »

AK7AN wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:01 pm Thanks for the reply. I read all the documentation on HRO and it doesn't do a real good job of making that clear. I am looking for one that actually does NXDN as I have access to Kenwood VHF NXDN radio's at work. I might take a chance on one of these.
I don't think it would be any different.

Are you saying your current MMDVM_HS doesn't do NXDN? Are you running 1.4.17 or greater firmware?
If someones previous actions are any indication of their future actions, then I predict the deletion and removal of access will happen at any moment. 7-11-2020.

AK7AN

Post by AK7AN »

My Zumspot UHF does NXDN and has the latest firmware. On my extended range VHF simplex gateway I am running a Chinese knock off with some knock off firmware and it shows NXDN, but it does not function, works great on D-Star, but not NXDN. I tried flashing the latest firmware but it won't flash through PI-star. I believe I need an ST-link to update it to the latest. I only paid $15 for the junk Chinese knock off. Just not worth it to purchase the ST-link for a one time use. So I am looking for a reputable hat that will function on NXDN to use with my VHF setup, as of right now I only have access to VHF Kenwood NX-700 radio. I will probably try one of these from HRO as it looks like they are upgradeable.
Happy New Year
Ed
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by KE7FNS »

AK7AN wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:25 pm I tried flashing the latest firmware but it won't flash through PI-star.
Its probably missing the traces to the GPIO pins 38, and 40.

I've only seen one design that doesn't have a way to manually force the STM32 into bootloader mode, the common Jumbospot board.

There is also another common variant that needs JP1 soldered before it will allow automatic firmware flashes, but it is possible to do it manually with the boot0 pads.

Post a photo of the board.
AK7AN wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:25 pm I believe I need an ST-link to update it to the latest. I only paid $15 for the junk Chinese knock off. Just not worth it to purchase the ST-link for a one time use.
ST-Links are cheap like 2 or 3 bucks and I've found them very handy, I've used them to recover a bunch of unresponsive STM32's from various projects from MMDVM_HS hats to RC flight controllers.
AK7AN wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:25 pm So I am looking for a reputable hat that will function on NXDN to use with my VHF setup, as of right now I only have access to VHF Kenwood NX-700 radio. I will probably try one of these from HRO as it looks like they are upgradeable.
I think you just might have an old board that has really old firmware that doesn't have NXDN implemented on it, I know some of the old board designs I've seen don't even have a LED for that mode. What version does it report?

I'm pretty sure if you buy any MMDVM_HS hat that supports VHF that NXDN will work, I'd be surprised if it didn't.

AK7AN

Post by AK7AN »

Jumbospot clone is probably what this is. It does have the NXDN led. Firmware is called MMDVM:20180327. It doesn't have a JP1 solder pad.
Thanks for all the great info.
Ed
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by KE7FNS »

AK7AN wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:16 am Jumbospot clone is probably what this is. It does have the NXDN led. Firmware is called MMDVM:20180327. It doesn't have a JP1 solder pad.
Honestly I'd just drop a few bucks on a USB ST-Link V2 clone (the anodized colored ones) from over seas unless you are really into developing STM32 code.

Then you'll be able to flash that board to the MMDVM_HS firmware version 1.4.17 or higher and I'd be surprised if NXDN didn't work.

Or you could try a newer hat, but again I'd steer away from the developer stuff. The real question is how much to do you want to spend? The price difference effects the quality and precision.