ZUMspot fails to Initialize

Help and support for ZUMSpot Hardware
K7JV

ZUMspot fails to Initialize

Post by K7JV »

When I power on my ZUMspot the screen comes live and shows "INITIALIZING ... Model 7 v2.2", but it never gets past that point. The Wifi "radio" never does appear on any of our computers or phone SSID lists. I tried using a friends Micro SD card and it did not make any difference. I tried re-flashing the original SD card from a fresh and current download from "pistar." It appears that the flash was successful but it did not help. I tried flashing a second SD card but it would not complete the Initialization, either.

Any ideas where to look or what to try, next, other than giving up and purchasing a replacement from HRO?
K7JV

Re: ZUMspot fails to Initialize

Post by K7JV »

In your first response, you mention that the serial port is incorrectly entered. The ZUMspot used to work, but it was inactive for a couple of months. When I tried it again several days ago, it would not power up and function. There is no way for me to see what the serial port settings might be as I can't find any way to communicate with the ZUMspot.

The ZUMspot is not connected to my router. It shows on the router devices list as an "inactive" device, as it used to be on my network. I just followed the instructions and wrote the wpa_supplicant.conf file onto the SD card.

I put the SD card back in with the file written on it and rebooted the ZUMspot and I do not see anywhere that I can "open the dashboard" to configure the hotspot. It still displays "INITIALIZING" and the pi-star "radio" does not appear on my iPhone available networks list or on my Mac available networks list.

Perhaps the radio has failed in the ZUMspot? Is Wifi the only way to talk to it? It has two micro-USB ports and one mini-HDMI port, but aside from the SD card, that is all that there is that might allow talking to the device.
K7JV

Re: ZUMspot fails to Initialize

Post by K7JV »

Ok, I've gained a little, but not enough. I was able to re-format and flash two micro-SD cards, actually. The file I used to flash both of the drives was Pi-Star_RPi_V4.1.4_08-Feb-2021.img.

On both of the cards I put the file wpa_supplicant.conf in the "boot" directory. Prior to doing that, I used the routine on the Pi-Star website for creating that file. On one of them I created it to connect to ANY network, and on the other I created it with the specific SSID and password for my network, in my home.

Both cards allowed the ZUMspot to start up to the point that the Pi-Star-Setup SSID showed up on both my iPhone and my laptop. I was able to connect from both of those devices, too.

But that's where I'm failing, now. Regardless of the SD card I use, and regardless of the platform, perhaps 15 seconds after they connect to the ZUMspot, the ZUMspot radio must drop out just long enough to cause the iPhone or the laptop to revert to another router in our home. The Pi-Star-Setup SSID immediately shows back up, and I can connect again, but the cycle just repeats. I am unable to stay connected long enough to enter the configuration screens, at all.

Any thoughts? It is a great thing that I've at least been able to get the ZUMspot Wifi radio to come live. So we're gaining.