Pi-STAR version with Pi Zero ZUMSpot Hat

Help and support for ZUMSpot Hardware
N3GBJ

Pi-STAR version with Pi Zero ZUMSpot Hat

Post by N3GBJ »

Hello

I'm running a ZUMSpot with Pi-Star v. 3.4.11. This is not the original version that came with the ZUMSpot kit when I bought it for I only had D-Star, DMR and YSF and maybe one cross-mode option. I updated Pi-Star through the "Update" function and received YSF2NXDN and now have 3.4.11.

Is this the latest current release compatible with ZUMSpot? I notice that version 3.4.13 is available for downloading and imaging from the Pi-Star main website and I hear that 3.4.15 is released as well but can't find the image files for that version (I tried clicking the "download" link in the forum post announcing the update but nothing happens when I click it.) I run "Update" function within Pi-Star on the ZUMSpot and nothing is updated even though it looks as if there are newer versions available. I would like to take advantage of DMR2NXDN if it's possible with ZUMSpot but do not want to re-image the SD card with a later version and find out that I've bricked the Z-spot.

Am I missing something as I"m sort of new to this.

Thanks
Chris N3GBJ
n9mxq

Re: Pi-STAR version with Pi Zero ZUMSpot Hat

Post by n9mxq »

3.4.15 is the latest greatest. If you run the update/upgrade a couple more times you'll be up to date. And yes, it will work with Zumspots..
Gene in Belvidere IL
Please don't email me with questions.
That's what these forums are for.
There's much more brainpower collected here
than I have alone.
N3GBJ

Post by N3GBJ »

Thanks for the note! I'm glad that it will work but, sadly, per your suggestion I ran update about six times and the process reports "Already Up to Date" at various points along the way. Still reports 3.4.11. At total loss now.

I wonder if I have to image 3.4.13 in order for it to update properly?
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

Updating and upgrading are two separate processes.

Running a Pi-Star Update from the dashboard (or via the automatic overnight updates) updates the dashboard binaries, and hostfiles. After an update, if something significant changes you will see the Dashboard version date change. Most current is 20180609. You also can run an update via an SSH shell:

Code: Select all

sudo pistar-update
Running a Pi-Star Upgrade via an SSH shell upgrades the base system services and packages. After an upgrade, you will see the Pi-Star version number change. Most current is 3.4.15.

The process to upgrade is to first run an update, and then run an upgrade as many times as is needed to get on the most current version.

Code: Select all

sudo pistar-upgrade
You can use the SSH Access tool in the Expert Editor, or you can use an SSH app like Termius (http://www.termius.com/) or PuTTY (https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgt ... atest.html).
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

Oh, and one more thing: once you get on the most recent version, you'll find a new "Upgrade" link in the Expert Editor, which will make things simpler going forward.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
N3GBJ

Post by N3GBJ »

Thanks very much for explaining the difference between update and upgrade!

I'm an old PuTTY fan so I went in with that and followed your instructions and all went well. Been a while since I've tinkered with a Linux command line and the SUDO commands common to distros like Mint and Ubuntu.

73 all N3GBJ
N3GBJ

Post by N3GBJ »

I should say that Pi-Star is a joy to use and adds fun to radio. My thanks to Andy and the others who have made all of this possible.
G6WQH

Post by G6WQH »

Thank you for the upgrade vs update information Toshen - I didn't even know upgrade existed until I read this - now I'm on Pi-Star:3.4.15.