Re: Interface is down
Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:41 pm
I've been doing a bunch of testing for the past couple of hours. Before I answer your question, I want to share that my testing confirms the issue you're having. This is what I found:
- After I deleted my network configurations from two different hotspots and then attempted to start over, I cannot connect via Auto AP (using hotspots and methods that previously worked for me). When I attempt to connect to the Auto AP access point, I can successfully enter the authentication password, but the wireless connection never successfully completes and I'm unable to connect to Pi-Star via my browser.
- I cannot successfully connect my phone to Auto AP using 192.168.50.1 (but this is something I've never tried before, so I can't confirm that it previously worked).
- After manually creating a wpa_supplicant file and copying to the root directory of the microSD cards for both hotspots, I started over. Once each hotspot had booted up, I was able to successfully connect to Pi-Star via my computer's browser with my computer connected to my normal WiFi network, and everything worked normally.
- I cannot connect to my hotspots via my cellphone (using methods that previously worked for me). Using the app IP Tools: WiFi Analyzer, I could see that each hotspot was able to successfully connect to my phone's hotspot, but I couldn't connect to Pi-Star in my phone's browser using either http://pi-star.local/ or the IP address of the connected hotspot.
- This is not a ZUMspot issue, but it does affect my ZUMspot hotspot. One of the hotspots I tried uses a ZUMspot Pi Board, but the other one uses a genuine MMDVM_HS Hat, and both hotspots have the same issue. Both are on the latest Pi-Star version 3.4.16, and both are updated to firmware version 1.4.1 (updated via Pi-Star and using: https://github.com/juribeparada/MMDVM_HS). I don't know how to troubleshoot past this point. I guess it could be an issue with the 1.4.1 firmware, or it could be an issue with most recent version of Pi-Star.
- I create a fresh image on my hotspot's microSD card using Etcher running on a Windows 10 laptop. When I do this, I ignore any system messages that I should format the card (before or after I burn the image). I let Etcher take care of everything, including formatting the card and verifying the image once it has been burned to the card.
- I create a wpa_supplicant.conf file using Notepad++ (saved as a plain txt file with the .conf extension). Since I have both a home and phone hotspot network that I want to be able to connect to, I use the format quoted below, which prioritizes the mobile network.
- I eject the microSD card from the laptop, insert it into the hotspot's RPi, and power up the hotspot.
- After about a minute and 40 seconds or so (it takes a bit longer for me since the hotspot has to try to connect to my cellphone hotspot (which is off) before it can connect to my home network), I open my browser on my computer (I can successfully use either a Mac and the Windows laptop for this) and enter the Pi-Star URL: http://pi-star/ for Windows and http://pi-star.local/ for Mac.
- After a few seconds, the Pi-Star dashboard opens. If it's a totally fresh installation, I go to the configuration page and enter my settings BUT I DON'T NEED TO DO ANYTHING FURTHER WITH WIFI AT THIS POINT SINCE IT'S ALREADY WORKING.
- I apply my changes and just to be on the safe side, reboot Pi-Star. And then I start using it as a hotspot.