Failure to restart after nightly updates.

General support for the Pi-Star System
F5VMR

Failure to restart after nightly updates.

Post by F5VMR » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:49 am

F5ZLR (DMR) running 4.1.2 often requires a manual reboot, as the dashboard indicates it freezes after the nightly update. Likewise this morning I had to manual reboot it as there had been no traffic since the update (Normally around 03:30 ECT). Its counterpart F5ZLW (DMR) also on 4.1.2 has no issues and had restarted after the update. They are both on the same local network despite being separated by 45 Kilometres. Are there any pointers as to where I might start looking for the source of the issue?

KN2TOD

Re: Failure to restart after nightly updates.

Post by KN2TOD » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:18 pm

For starters, check these (in no particular order or importance):

Thermal problems: is the unit overheating? (Ventilation problems? Is it near something that heats up? possibly seasonally?)

Power problems: is the unit running under-voltage or near its lower limits? (is the power supply on an UPS? Or is it possible the area is seeing power surges or sags? Recently?)

Check the syslogs (compare the two) around the time of the suspected failures and see if anything unusual jumps out at you.

Some long shots:

Some folks have reported problems with their masters appearing to hang which makes it look like the hotspot has stopped or is unresponsive. They report changing masters fixes the problem. I have my doubts about this one, but .. it's worth a look.

EMI: new (or recently restarted) sources of interference that may be overpowering the unit, an HVAC system for example. Hard to track down, but ... just reorienting or moving the unit to a new (nearby) location may fix this.

G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:51 pm

Could be an incipient failure in the SD card, I saw something like this last year and a change of card fixed it.
--

Brian G8SEZ

KE7FNS

Post by KE7FNS » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:44 pm

F5VMR wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:49 am
Are there any pointers as to where I might start looking for the source of the issue?
I'd look at the MMDVMHost log, and see what it reports as its last entries. You HAVE to do this when the device is in its "no traffic" state and BEFORE you reboot it, since the logs get erased when it is rebooted.

MMDVMHost gets shutdown during the nightly update, after the updates are finished MMDVMHost is started back up so either it is failing to restart correctly, or it is failing to connect to the DMR server or possibly even reconnect to the MMDVM hat.

What model of RPi is it? and are you wired or wireless? What MMDVM hat also?

Since you say that you can still access the dashboard that rules out a few of the above suggestions.

A thermal issue is just going to slow down the entire RPi, it isn't going to prevent one process from running correctly while something like the dashboard continues to function normally. https://makezine.com/2016/03/02/raspber ... atch-fire/

That is also the same for any low voltage power supply issues, the processor just throttles itself.

Both thermal and power throttling can be checked by

Code: Select all

vcgencmd get_throttled
If it reports throttled=0x0, then there are no issues with either. It will also report if either had happened at any time in the past.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 50#p972790
If someones previous actions are any indication of their future actions, then I predict the deletion and removal of access will happen at any moment. 7-11-2020.

"07/13/20 This Website Has Been Taken Down" ... again :lol: