Configuration Update appears to be stuck?

General support for the Pi-Star System
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: Configuration Update appears to be stuck?

Post by KE7FNS »

G6WOV wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:43 pm Thank you all for your replies, some of it I think I understand? (Steep learning curve!)
Well, if you have any questions don't be afraid to ask, someone will answer them as best as they can.
G6WOV wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:43 pm I thought this might be a good way to return to Amauteur Radio after nearly 30 years absence, with retirement looming very soon. Plus also my youngest son ihas become intrigued about Amateur Radio, so it seems that we are learning together.
Its a little different than what you are probably used too, but there shouldn't be any major issues.
G6WOV wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:43 pm After about 30 minutes of no change with the Hotspot I clicked back to the Main Menu, then clicking back to Update just returned me to the same point. So I decided to try the Shutdown option, which it went to ok saying that the Shutdown had been sent to the Pi but to wait 30 seconds before removing the Power, but 10 minutes later it was still on.
Yeah, RPi's don't actually shut the power off on shutdown. There will always be a solid red LED, there are a few add on boards that give you the ability to cut power automatically on shutdown and if that interests you just ask and I'll provide you with a link to one of them. I guess back when they were developing the first RPi's to keep costs down they never added the parts needed to cut the power and it has been that way ever since.

I often kick off a shutdown command on a RPi and forget about it and leave it plugged in to the outlet for hours and then I can't remember if I ran the shutdown command or not.
G6WOV wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:43 pm I have powered it down and we hope to have another go at it tomorrow. If we do have to reimage the SD Card and start from scratch then not to worry as we are learning together. I just hope that I have not caused you all any inconvenience. But if you try to build a fool proof system, some uninitiated person will come along and.... I try to follow the instructions, and my son consults YouTube, but it's fun working together on a project. So every mistake is all part of learning for both of us.
Nah, its not an inconvenience, if it was I'd find other things to do with my time.
G6WOV wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:43 pm I have a Pi 4 4GB (which my son has already offered to swap his Pi 3 for!), and a Duplex Pi Hat V1.3 (I should have perhaps got a Single Board but I was thinking way too far ahead of myself) We were trying to set it up as a DMR Hotspot for a 70cms Radio (Retirement present that I don't have yet) and my old FT290 (that I now know is not compatible).
Honestly that would be the best for both of you. Your son would get a killer system, and a RPi 3 is more than enough to run a hotspot. A 10 dollar RPi Zero W is enough. A RPi 4 running a hotspot is just overkill and I'm sure your son would get more use out of it. I've compared it previously to driving a Ferrari down the driveway to the mailbox.
G6WOV wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:43 pm I can keep you posted with how we get along if you'd like, as we might have become Beta Testers for how to do it the hard way!
I'm sure there are many people that have or will encounter the same struggles, so discussing things benefits everyone.

Check out Toshens KE0FHS information, it helped me tremendously when I was starting a few years ago.
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
If someones previous actions are any indication of their future actions, then I predict the deletion and removal of access will happen at any moment. 7-11-2020.

"07/13/20 This Website Has Been Taken Down" ... again :lol:
G6WOV

Post by G6WOV »

Good news! I thought that I'd start trying to update it again during lunch break, so that it had time to accumulate everything before my son and I resume this evening. But the Commands whizzed up the screen and it was finished in about a minute.

I had already downloaded the latest Image ready to burn the SD Card with, so that was ready too, but will continue on with the "in progress" version for now. So more reading and YouTube watching for us both. All we need now is for me to make a decision on a Radio. Plus of course - retire!
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by KE7FNS »

G6WOV wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:02 pm All we need now is for me to make a decision on a Radio.
Its like shopping for a car, theres so many choices. I guess you first need to decide on which digital mode you would like to use DMR, DStar, P25 Phase 1, NXDN, or System Fusion and then decide on which radio brand and model you would like. Its a tough decision.

For DMR I like the BTECH DMR-6X2, it was cheap and works great.

Here is some DMR radio information.
https://www.miklor.com/
If someones previous actions are any indication of their future actions, then I predict the deletion and removal of access will happen at any moment. 7-11-2020.

"07/13/20 This Website Has Been Taken Down" ... again :lol:
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

KE7FNS wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:40 pm For DMR I like the BTECH DMR-6X2, it was cheap and works great.
I'm a fan of the AnyTone radios - ML&S stock them in the UK, feature rich, good for using DMR as a ham operator - many of the more expensive radios like Motorola *are* very good, but cost a lot and miss some features that I love (like the huge address book that you can put all DMR users into).
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
G6WOV

Post by G6WOV »

The DMR-6X2 does not appear to be as readily available as the extremely similar Anytone radios that are available here in the UK, and there are also Retevis Radios that are very similar too. These Dualband Handhelds are at very affordable prices, and there appear to be many preferences depending on where you read about them. Unlike when I first started in Amateur Radio, when I built my own equipment or repurposed ex Utility Radio and Equipment, it seems that good but cheap radios are more readily available today. My 2nd hand FT-290 took me a long time to save up for, and now it seems it's almost an antique.

But the Update(s) are working, so now I need a radio to start testing all the other Hotspot Features work properly. So my next questions will be relating to that I'm sure. Or you might just be able to chat with me on the air about other things too.

Again many thanks to you all for your help
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

DMR handhelds tend to low cost regardless of brand.

Remember, DMR was created as a digital business radio -- used on construction sites, etc. where one either prices cheap enough to replace those that get damaged from drops, etc. or makes gear in the Motorola class which costs lots but might survive the same drops.

DMR isn't an amateur radio specific mode (unlike YSF and D-Star). APCO P-25 was developed for police/fire and other public service agencies. NXDN as I recall is a proprietary mode from one company.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
k9amt

Post by k9amt »

Miss informed here.

DMR is not a job site construction radio standard far from it. Any commercial DMR radio isn't the cheap junk sold as ham DMR. Motorola for example markets DMR to specific uses i.e non public safety. That's a marketing choice by Motorola. DMR is an open standard.
P25 is a open standard for public safety. Calling conventional P25 (which is what hams are using) is just P25. Phase 1 p25 refers to CDMA trunking vs Phase 2 which is TDMA trunking.

NXDN is offered by Kenwood and Icom aka Nexedge and IDAS branding.