update loop, update fails

General support for the Pi-Star System
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Re: update loop, update fails

Post by MW0MWZ »

CT2HRB wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:56 pm I told you it could happen, you didn't believe me :P

The issue is triggered specifically when user tries to fetch an update that includes both updated pistar-update and pistar-upnp.service files at same time. Users who updated progressively will not experience the problem as they likely updated each file at a time on different days, users that didn't update for some days (or maybe with fresh image) may get the problem as they will likely fetch both files at same time.
Well I believe you now alright - I'm concerned this could re-surface later too, thinking about how I may deal with any other edge case currently...
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
CT2HRB

Post by CT2HRB »

From some quick tests I made, I think the "update-index --assume-unchanged" is actually just making things worst, if you didn't do it then the "reset --hard" would actually work without the rm. The "assume-unchanged" never really allowed the file to be updated and actually prevents "reset --hard" to work :(

You could eventually revert changes on pistar-upnp.service temporarily for some days to allow users to get fixed pistar-update and then bring it back after a few days? maybe...
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

CT2HRB wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:30 pm You could eventually revert changes on pistar-upnp.service temporarily for some days to allow users to get fixed pistar-update and then bring it back after a few days? maybe...
I'm not sure that I can, its changed a lot over the last few days, so what point do I pick...
The assume-unchanged is supposed to let you keep local changes to the pistar-upnp.service - that was sane enough, removing the file and running the reset does cure it - so that's the fall-back position for it.

I've removed the latest download of 4.1.4, since updating from that causes a loop - a pre-fixed 4.1.5 will be live shortly - plus I already patched the update process to take care of things, the only down side is that if you get to the point where its looped - you are stuck there until you manually fix it - an that's bad :(
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
CT2HRB

Post by CT2HRB »

See what you think of the PR I did submit on Bin repo, to try to fix this automagically.
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

Thats a pretty good solution - I was pondering doing something similar, but you did the work already - thank you.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
g6fgy

Post by g6fgy »

Is it confirmed that the 4.1.5 image now available for download is without the loop issue?

Thanks - Eric G6FGY
G0FVX

Post by G0FVX »

No is the answer Eric, in my experience. I have just tried an UPDATE and lost contact with the Pi.
Guess I will have to rewrite the card :(
Following the yellow banner at the top of the screen told me that I had the most recent version, 4.1.4.
2E0UCW

Post by 2E0UCW »

I've just managed to update 4 Pi-Star hotspots at home and one repeater remotely via the yellow banner update link.
All 5 are now showing version 4.1.5 and operating as they should (but I'll keep monitoring).
I've also setup a 5th hotspot with a fresh image (v 4.1.5) having not used it in a few months.
G0FVX

Post by G0FVX »

Sorted. Well at least I have the the Pi reconnected to the outside world!
It's surprising how quickly I miss it when it stops!
Still got the "new version" reminders at top of screen.
WC2F

Post by WC2F »

it works super

thanks

miguel wc2f