BrandMeister Hotspot Security pswd erased

General support for the Pi-Star System
K6JM

BrandMeister Hotspot Security pswd erased

Post by K6JM »

We just converted our D-STAR repeater to Multi-Mode with D-STAR, DMR and YSF enabled. Quite often, we lose our connection to the BrandMeister Master and discover the Hotspot Security password has been blanked in the DMR GW config. I have not nailed the exact circumstances, but it appears to happen with minor config changes and possibly reboots.

I found this post by KE7FNS at viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3633&p=18813
… if one has made changes using the Expert page, one should no longer make any changes using the Basic page... The basic page does not save all custom settings but reverts them to defaults.
I am guessing this remains true, and it applies to Configurtion page changes to the DMR block and therefore DMR GW. Am I right? If so, I am wondering if Pi-Star could warn people about this somehow. But mainly, I am asking if I understand this restriction correctly and that I should stop using the Configuration page, ast least for DMR changes?

Jim - K6JM
W6CX DV Gateway Admin
Mount Diablo ARC, Concord, CA USA
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: BrandMeister Hotspot Security pswd erased

Post by KE7FNS »

K6JM wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:44 pm I am guessing this remains true, and it applies to Configurtion page changes to the DMR block and therefore DMR GW. Am I right?
Yes, that is the exact issue. Going back to the main configuration page can and will reset some fields when you select apply., even if you don't modify related fields, or edit a completely different field anywhere on that page.

There are a number of ways to solve this issue on your own. One is to make sure you only make expert changes from this point forward. Another is to make sure you only make changes to networks 4 and 5 in DMRGateway as those don't ever get modified by the default configuration.
K6JM wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:44 pm If so, I am wondering if Pi-Star could warn people about this somehow.
There is a warning, right as soon as you clicked on the Expert menu. I don't have any idea how to make it more noticeable so that people actually take the time to read and understand it.

Code: Select all

Pi-Star Expert editors have been created to make editing some of the extra settings in the
config files more simple, allowing you to update some areas of the config files without the
need to login to your Pi over SSH.

Please keep in mind when making your edits here, that these config files can be updated by
the dashboard, and that your edits can be over-written. It is assumed that you already know
what you are doing editing the files by hand, and that you understand what parts of the files
are maintained by the dashboard.

With that warning in mind, you are free to make any changes you like, for help come to the Facebook
group (link at the bottom of the page) and ask for help if / when you need it.
73 and enjoy your Pi-Star experiance.
Pi-Star UK Team.
K6JM wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:44 pm But mainly, I am asking if I understand this restriction correctly and that I should stop using the Configuration page, ast least for DMR changes?
Yes.

Only use the Expert area to make ALL configuration changes (to all modes) should you need to and you won't have any issues, or understand that if you ever click "apply" you need to go back and modify the settings where you don't want to use the default settings.
If someones previous actions are any indication of their future actions, then I predict the deletion and removal of access will happen at any moment. 7-11-2020.

"07/13/20 This Website Has Been Taken Down" ... again :lol: and again
dh3ybe

Re: BrandMeister Hotspot Security pswd erased

Post by dh3ybe »

Hi,

if the changes of the config work, make a Backup of the config, please.

Of your pi does not work properly , you can Jump back to an older working config.

Kai
dh3ybe