Running concurrent Igate software with Pi-Star?

General support for the Pi-Star System
N6NLX

Running concurrent Igate software with Pi-Star?

Post by N6NLX »

Hello all,

I recently built up a DMR repeater using the MMDVM board from Scott Zimmerman and Pi-Star. I would like to run an Igate within the same repeater without having to run dual RPIs. Currently I have an RPI 3 for the repeater controller and an RPI Zero for the SDR Igate. Is it possible to run the SDR Igate software and Pi-Star on one RPI? It would be great to just plug in the Nooelec SDR device into the RPI USB port and be able to receive both DMR APRS via the repeater and analog APRS via the SDR.

I don’t know enough about setting up RPIs to figure out if it’s possible. I’m thinking not since they are both images.
Has anyone done this or can point me in the direction how to set this up?

Thanks.

Don N6NLX
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: Running concurrent Igate software with Pi-Star?

Post by M1DNS »

Prob. not as pistar is configured to run the OS in a read only environment. Your additional software will prob. suffer when modified to run RO, if it'll run that way at all?

Andrew M1DNS, (MOD)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
G6WOV

Post by G6WOV »

I like this idea. I wonder if a Bridge could be made in the Raspberry Pi configuration to allow these two to work on one Pi?
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

Also, hotspots don't do FM.

The AD 7021 rf chips dont run FM mode.
So would only be useful to wide area systems that make use of mobile radios or true repeater hardware.

Given the randomness of network traffic how would you handle lockouts to prevent traffic collision? Youll need mmdvm firmware and software updates to cater to that, so goes beyond pistar.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.