How do you configure pi-star to leave a mode or modes "unlinked at startup"?

General support for the Pi-Star System
KC3MLA

Post by KC3MLA » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:09 am

Mark

W1KMC

Re: How do you configure pi-star to leave a mode or modes

Post by W1KMC » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:12 pm

how do you get my car to start?

We need more , example or modes you want but most is done on the configuration page in the GUI

DMR - this has changed and may not be possible any more without you remembering one thing
YSF just don't select a start up room
D-Star I think is the same, don't select a startup reflector
P25 - I don' have
NXDN Don't choose a startup room.

DMR is a bit strange now
Brandmeister has made it so even if nothing is in your static or Dynamic lists somehow it remembers tour last group and won't go away until you change it yourself -- it was suggested after you send a Group Call to 4000 to disconnect from a TG you need to key up another for it to truely lose the group you don't want anymore (sugggested TG 9)

DMR+ is easy use the options= box. See W1MSG's DMR gateway youtube video for the one that worked for me, but recently the box is erased for no reason - so I do n ot use DMR+. New updates allow turning off DMR+ but network 2 cannot be used for something else (like TGIF) so do what you wish with DMR+

XLX - either turn it off or I think there is an option of none in the dropdown so it doesn't start on a XLX reflector..
I am no developer, guru, expert, nor do I claim to be or want to be. All advice I give is purely from experience and my efforts to help others.

W1KMC - Kevin M Carman
Bangor, ME
Jumbospot on a Pi0W
DMR 3123142 & 3123143
HHUS Trunk Ext 4329

KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:39 pm

A couple more things to consider.

In the D-STAR Configuration section, there is an option for Default Reflector. Set that to Manual if you don't want it to link automatically on startup.

As Kevin mentioned, the BrandMeister Auto-Static feature has changed recently. It used to be that you could send a group call to TG4000 to unlink, and you would stay unlinked. The next talkgroup you keyed up after sending a group call to TG4000 would become auto-static. Now, the talkgroup you were linked to remains auto-static even after unlinking with a group call to TG4000, so if there is any further activity on that talkgroup, it will immediately become linked again. This pretty much makes sending a group call to TG4000 useless.

Since unlinking doesn't really accomplish anything anymore, it now appears that the best thing to do for BrandMeister is what Kevin suggested, send a group call to TG9, which is local in the BrandMeister world, and as I understand it, that means you'll link to your own hotspot.

I don't really understand the logic behind BrandMeister's change, but it seems that it is an intentional change on the part of their server sysop team, and since it's their playground, those are the rules we need to follow if we want to play there.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm

KC3MLA

Post by KC3MLA » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:32 pm

I was responding to Toshen's suggestion to leave a mode or modes "unlinked at startup" so I assumed the details were part of that suggestion.
Mark

KC3MLA

Post by KC3MLA » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:35 pm

And something is really wonky with this thread. I can't find the original post that started it. I also can't find Toshen's comment there to which I responded. Very confusing.
Mark