Expert/ircddbgateway editor

General support for the Pi-Star System
N2WLS

Expert/ircddbgateway editor

Post by N2WLS »

Folks,

All the other editors under the expert page work fine for me except the ircddbgateway editor brings up nothing. Any suggestion on how to correct this? It has persisted this way for many updates/upgrades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Re: Expert/ircddbgateway editor

Post by MW0MWZ »

Most likely cause is an un-handled ' or " in one of the fields.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
N2WLS

Post by N2WLS »

Interesting. I will check that. I have 3 Pi-star devices, only one of which do I have starnet groups on, so the others I never manually touched the configuration and I couldn’t get that editor to come up on any of them. Will try looking at the file over ssh when I get home from work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
N2WLS

Post by N2WLS »

Ah HA! It wasn't an ' or a ", it was an exclamation point in my remote password. Once that was removed the editor works fine. This also explains why the editors on all 3 of my devices refused to edit ircddbgateway without me having manually edited the file on 2 out of the 3 - the ircddbgateway remote password was populated by me in the main Dstar config page. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

I've seen that issue previously related to an exclamation mark in the Password field of the DMR Network section of the Expert Editor > MMDVMHost editor. Wrapping the password in quotation marks before Applying Changes did the trick. Or, if the changes had already been applied and consequently the page was blank, you could SSH into Pi-Star and edit the actual line in the MMDVMHost file to add the quotation marks.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
W4BPP

Post by W4BPP »

i've been struggling with this. it seems you were able to solve it, but i cannot sort out how. i changed my remote password for pistar to ditch the "!" but i can't get the expert page for ircDDBgateway back. what step am I missing? what did you manually edit to restore it?
w7efs

Post by w7efs »

Characters such as ! and & have meaning to PHP coding and break the "Expert" pages, as you too have discovered. It's best to manually edit such characters into the /etc/ircddbgateway file using your favorite editor (vi, nano, pico etc.) and forego use of the PHP "Expert" editor. Press "Apply Changes" in any configuration page field to restart the services.
W4BPP

Post by W4BPP »

thanks, i appreciate the concept of the bad characters. what i am wondering is how to simply revive the page? i was able to use nano to edit the ircDDBgateway file to squash dstar's DPRS which turned on by default (not something i wanted)... so the root issue has been solved. i just don't understand how to get things normalized. i removed the offending "!" from my password, and have tried every variation of rebooting and upgrading. i'm obviously missing a step. how do i get the expert editor for ircDDBgateway back?
w7efs

Post by w7efs »

php generates the html page at each invocation, so it sounds as if your file has a problem, perhaps as Andy suggested. Just to verify whether the file has the correct newline character, please post the results of the following command:

Code: Select all

file /etc/ircddbgateway
It should be "/etc/ircddbgateway: ASCII text". If it instead states "/etc/ircddbgateway: ASCII text, with CRLF line terminators" then there is an easy fix.
W4BPP

Post by W4BPP »

thanks for the step, here's the result:

Code: Select all

/etc/ircddbgateway: ASCII text