Request for Comprehensive 4.0 New Features List

General support for the Pi-Star System
W4JEW

Request for Comprehensive 4.0 New Features List

Post by W4JEW » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:33 am

Andy,

I’ve read through the release notes for the various RC builds and it feels like there’s more to 4.0 than meets the eye.

For example, earlier tonight I read that 4.0 RC3 introduces support for D-Star Terminal Mode (Icom ID-51A Plus2 and ID-4100 with OPC-2350LU cable).

It would be great to get a more comprehensive list of new features as well as a list of specific version numbers for components such as ircDDBgateway, DMRgateway, etc. that are incorporated.

Is this something that you can put together? I think it would go a long way to help the community take advantage of new capabilities and allow us to test drive other things that are there but not called out.

Thank you for your consideration!

JeffH
W4JEW
Atlanta, GA

MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Re: Request for Comprehensive 4.0 New Features List

Post by MW0MWZ » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:00 pm

There is no point in me posting version numbers really - they move...

Pi-Star 3.4 is on older builds of all of the G4KLX software / CA6JAU Software - ircDDBGateway and DStarRepeater are pretty old now, from 2011.

Pi-Star 4.0.0 runs the new ircDDBGateway/DStarRepeater from December 2018, while its at RC status and not a full release it's closer to the bleeding edge of development than 3.4 is.

Other than that - Pi-Star v4 is mostly an OS upgrade, taking the base from Jessie to Stretch, new kernels and automated OS updates.
The dashboard is 100% in sync between the two builds, so the scripts are also shared, although not all of them are fully available on v3.4.x

Pi-Star v4 also brings other features like SD cards are auto expanded on first use, but for the most part, its the new OS and new(er) binaries, I'm always working on some part or other of both systems, sometimes patching small issues that almost nobody notices, other times adding new features, other times fixing up long-standing issues that I have new ideas on, its a rolling release, almost none of it could be called static.

And so what is next ?

Well I am working on something - but its not ready to talk about yet, and soon I'll be pushing the RC into a release, announcing the end of support for the 3.x builds and start on Pi-Star 5 - now that the OS is stretch (been a LONG time coming) the next major branch is going to bring a new dashboard that works quite differently to the current one.

So much to do - never enough time....
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk

N3MNT

Post by N3MNT » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:27 pm

Thank you for all your efforts. You are keeping the mode fresh and exciting.

W4JEW

Post by W4JEW » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:49 pm

Andy,

Your contributions to the amateur radio community are amongst the most significant ever!

I’m super excited to hear what’s next!

Thank you so much for everything you do!!!

Best regards,

-JeffH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:14 am

W4JEW wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:49 pm
Your contributions to the amateur radio community are amongst the most significant ever!
Its a team effort, without Jonathan (G4KLX), and the many contributors, we would not have the original DStarRepeater and ircDDBGateway - where this all started, and the evolution of that with MMDVM / MMDVMHost.

Plus the cross-over modes from Andy (CA6JAU), and the continued MMDVM_HS firmware updates.

Sure I make the glue that holds that lot together and makes it more easy to use, and we do still have a long way to go - I'm proud I can give something back, especially when we all benefit from it.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk