Zumspot USB help

General support for the Pi-Star System
WM3M

Zumspot USB help

Post by WM3M » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:38 am

I just received a Zumspot USB from HRO and having trouble figuring it out. I searched the posts here and did not find any help. I have a Zumspot Pi, and several other hotspots but the USB is very different. The HRO instructions show using it with PiStar but there is no IP address to get to it? Also, no instructions on the AMBE part of BLueDV. I have BlueDV working but DMR audio is very distorted. Any help would be appreciated or suggestions on where to get more info, did several google searches did not find anything.
Thank you 73
Emory WM3M

M1DNS

Re: Zumspot USB help

Post by M1DNS » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:09 am

If ur running either release .16 .17 or 4.0 RC3 you select it in the modem drop down, zumspot USB in the general config.
Know nothing of blue DV setup, but. this isn't the place to support that software anyways.

Andrew M1DNS, (Mod)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.

M1DNS

Post by M1DNS » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:12 am

If you haven't yet configured the pi to connect with ur home network, do so using pistar setup AP.

Using you pc, phone, or tablet.
Scan for WiFi networks.
Connect to pistar setup AP
Password is raspberry.
Open a browser on the controlling device
Enter 192.168.50.1 in its address bar.
You should get the pistar dashboard back.
Scroll down the page to WiFi setup.
When there click Search local networks
And select your WiFi connection.
Enter the WPA passcode for ur intended connection
Click connect, apply changes and when it returns, click the power link top right of screen. Click the green reboot icon.

The install should reboot and connect to ur home network.

Remember to change the settings on ur pc, laptop, phone, tablet etc to connect back to ur home network.
You should then be able to setup everything else using http://pistar to connect between both devices.

Andrew M1DNS, (Mod)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.

WM3M

Post by WM3M » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:32 pm

Andrew, I appreciate the help and info. Does the Zumspot USB have wifi? I do not think it does but not sure. It plugs into a USB port on a computer and uses that for connection to the internet.
Thank you
Emory WM3M

AF6VN

Post by AF6VN » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:05 pm

WM3M wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:32 pm
Andrew, I appreciate the help and info. Does the Zumspot USB have wifi? I do not think it does but not sure. It plugs into a USB port on a computer and uses that for connection to the internet.
Thank you
Emory WM3M
WiFi... Probably not... The ZumSpot is just the hardware that handles receipt and transmission of RF packets on Amateur frequencies ("MODEM") and doesn't know anything about the internet. It is the host computer (the one you plugged it into) that has to run Pi-Star or other software to control the ZumSpot which has the internet connection and relays packets between modem/radio and internet. If it is plugged into an R-Pi, say, running Pi-Star software, then it is the R-Pi to which you have to connect...

Have you downloaded the set-up guides from HRO? (Your mention of "instructions" could be something different -- I don't know) Based upon the Windows config, the QRG field under DMR might be related to Pi-Star's Offset fields

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber

M1DNS

Post by M1DNS » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:12 pm

As above, you'll need some sort of software running on a computer of sorts that it's plugged into. It will work fine with a rasp pi running pistar, which is of course the topic of support here in this forum.

Andrew M1DNS, (Mod)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.

KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:31 pm

If you're running Windows and BlueDV, did you check out David's page?
https://www.pa7lim.nl/bluedv-windows/
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm