IP address not showing

General support for the Pi-Star System
KD2RCQ

IP address not showing

Post by KD2RCQ » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:24 pm

I have a problem I haven’t been able to figure out. The pi star device is connected to my WiFi and I can transmit and receive with it after a period of inactivity, when I scan for the IP address so I can connect to the dashboard, it doesn’t show up. Yet, it’s still working. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Danny

KE0FHS

Re: IP address not showing

Post by KE0FHS » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:45 pm

This is most likely an issue with your router and/or wireless network configuration. I'm not very good at troubleshooting that type of issue, but it likely would help if you shared more details about what kind of router you're using and how you wireless network is configured. Another thing that would be good to know: can you still connect to Pi-Star via an SSH app when you're experiencing this issue?
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm

KD2RCQ

Post by KD2RCQ » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:30 pm

Hi. I am using a Ubee router that came with my cable internet package. I haven’t done anything with it as I cannot get into the router. The cable company has that locked out. I cannot ash into the device either.

W2XQ

Post by W2XQ » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:30 pm

Just for giggles and grins, turning on your phone's WiFi and using a phone app such as Fing you cannot see the devices on your network? (On my network, the hotspot is identified as "Raspberry Pi".)

I also am just wondering if you might be connecting to a neighbor's WiFi? In some developments I can see 6 or more networks surrounding me. (I do checks on co-channel interference.)

Recognize these are two crazy ideas. They have been rattling around my brain since I first saw your query.
Tom - W2XQ - w2xq.com

KD2RCQ

Post by KD2RCQ » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:29 pm

I use an app to scan the wifi and they do not show up. Also I am NOT connected to a neighbors network.

KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:14 pm

Have you tried contacting support at your cable company?
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm

AF6VN

Post by AF6VN » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:19 pm

Or -- horrors -- obtain a WiFi router, feed the cable modem to this new router, and connect all your gear to the it instead of the cable box.

You will have to modify the new router some -- if the cable box is issuing IPs in 192.168.1.x, set the router to use 192.168.2.x (so all your devices will be on 192.168.2.x IPs, while the router "output" side will get a 192.168.1.x from the cable box).

I keep meaning to do that for my system -- u-Verse is a 2.4GHz WiFi, but the router I used to use with DSL is dual-band 2.4 and 5GHz; I'd prefer to put my stuff on the 5GHz band due to channel congestion in my area.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber