Co. Acting to all networks but mine

General support for the Pi-Star System
KE2SJ

Co. Acting to all networks but mine

Post by KE2SJ » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:59 pm

I've seen this question asked in many flavors but couldn't find an answer that worked for me. My hotspot connects fine to my Android phone and, if Android is off, to the AP. But none of my hots will connect to my router. Router has been flushed, reset, and replaced by Verizon and I've tried every trick I know in the book. Once in a while a hotspot will show up in Fing under mybhome network but the associated IP leads to nowhere. Any ideas? I am inclined to think this is a network issue... thanks.

WB3IHY

Re: Co. Acting to all networks but mine

Post by WB3IHY » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:50 pm

My hotspot connects fine to my Android phone and, if Android is off, to the AP. But none of my hots will connect to my router
Do you mean by Ethernet? Or to the WIFI access point in your (Verizon) router versus your "AP" somewhere else?

KE2SJ

Post by KE2SJ » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:26 pm

By wifi, I mean my Verizon home network. Ethernet hard wire work fine. By AP I meant Pi-stars internal access point that kicks in if no other network is found. For some reason, pi-star is letting me use the AP not just for set up, but as a standalone full fledged network for dstar, dmr etc. IP 192.168.1.50 I think. But my goal.is to get my wifi network working with the hotspots again. I've been trying for two months and nothing has worked.

WB3IHY

Post by WB3IHY » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:30 pm

I apologize for all the questions...not intending to appear dense, just trying to wrap my head around the situation so I can give proper suggestions.

Am I understanding correctly that if you turn off your Android and the Pi-Star activates its internal AP, it then allows you to connect to the various DMR networks with your DMR radio?

If so...that's extremely strange. Sounds like Pi-Star is somehow bridging to another WIFI network and using its Internet connection.

Personally, if this was happening to me, I'd go to the Pi-Star WiFi Builder https://www.pistar.uk/wifi_builder.php , generate a new wpa_supplicant.conf with the appropriate parameters of your Verizon WIFI network, plunk it into the boot volume of your Pi-Star card, and see what happens.

Provided that it gets you connected to your WIFI, then I'd go in and add your Android as the second network via the Pi-Star Dashboard configuration.

KE2SJ

Post by KE2SJ » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:00 am

No you're not being dense, that's exact what's happening. Has me scratching my head, too. I actually created a new supplicant file last night and tied both with a working image and with one that I had just burned and was in the process of configuring. Neither resolved the problem. I reset and flushed DNS on my router, tried doing a full reset with all devices disconnected, and it's the same with all three hotspots tried on six or so different Pis. When connected, DMR2YSF doesn't work.but I assume that is an unrelated issue. The Pi-star AP acting as a full network has me baffled. Thos whole.thing has me baffled. Everything was working fine until one morning...

M1DNS

Post by M1DNS » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:58 am

No your misreading what's happening here
When you connect directly to the board, Pistar setup AP it's to initiate the first wifi setup either as a new install or if in a new location where you haven't the opertunaty or know the particular setup to where ur heading ahead of time.

eg if I go visit my sister and take my install with me.
She has WiFi at her home, but I don't know her details ahead of time.
When there. I boot up my install it can't see any of my WiFi access points I've already configured so it falls over into setup AP mode.
I connect my phone to it (setup AP) and it gives me access to the pistar configuration.
I use the config to search for nearby WiFi points ie my sister's router
configure pistar to connect to it and after saving settings and a reboot it comes back up connected to the WiFi at her home.

Same goes for anywhere where there's a WiFi connection
It allows you access to the config before Ur actually connected to a WiFi connection. Otherwise chicken and egg scenario... right

So basically, long story short...
When it's in access point there's no connection to any networks. As it's not on the web, it's just acting as an access point for you to connect to it for its configuration.

Andrew M1DNS, (Mod)

Ps if ur also setting up for a phone (mobile) install
Set the phone configuration at the top of the stack.(priority 1)
This way as soon as you walk away from the range of ur home connection it'll default straight to the phone. And when back at home and the phones access point get shut off It'll roll back onto the home connection.

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.

KE2SJ

Post by KE2SJ » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:52 am

Thanks. That's always been my understanding of how the built-in AP works. I didn't know it would also carry on multimode communications up to several city blocks away for several hours. Of course my preference would be to use my home wifi network as the AP is not designed for this sort of use (though performs admirably) but after two going on three months of tinkering and going through every fix and tip I could find, I still cant get an IP address for any of my two hotspots that get IPs from DHCP and can't get my hotspot with a static IP assigned to connect either. Its maddening and will likely drive me to selling my DMR and Dstar gear.

Being on disability DMR and Dstar have transformed my life and became my links to the outside world. Ive been a ham most of my life. I miss them and need them back so I can talk with other humans.

All the network gear was replaced and started with a clean slate. Ethernet works fine, but no interface with my hotspot despite proper installation of pi-star, buying two new Pi 3bs and a new MMDVM hat, burning multiple images etc. Things worked great for months and then one morning no IP addresses on wifi. Ethernet is not a practical option given that I'd have to tear things up to run the cat 5 from the cable modem/router to the shack. Have tried the FB groups, local Elmers and the groups I belong to (none responded). Not sure what else to try.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

M1DNS

Post by M1DNS » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:51 pm

Rather than trying to set a fixed IP in the pi. try a setup where you reserve an IP for the pi in ur router. ie it's always allocates the same IP to the same device (based off its mac address) this makes it a little simplier, as you need make no changes to the pi.

Andrew M1DNS, (Mod)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.

KE2SJ

Post by KE2SJ » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:28 am

Thanks Andrew, that's exactly what I did (very sorry if I wasn't clear) - setting a static IP in the router for the MAC addresss.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

M1DNS

Post by M1DNS » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:18 am

Andrew M1DNS, (Mod)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.