Running update/upgrade on Ver4 RC3 stops system

General support for the Pi-Star System
W1FJM

Running update/upgrade on Ver4 RC3 stops system

Post by W1FJM » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:36 pm

I am running ver4 rc3. When I ssh in using Putty and run sudo pistar-update followed by sudo pistar-ugrade, the system becomes inaccessible and I have to completely reload the image. What am I doing wrong?
Fran
W1FJM

W2XQ

Re: Running update/upgrade on Ver4 RC3 stops system

Post by W2XQ » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:33 pm

Fran, do you need SSH? Configuration>Update doesn't work for you? The overnight updates are working; the current date is 20190402. HTH a bit.
Tom - W2XQ - w2xq.com

W1FJM

Post by W1FJM » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:38 pm

It does but doesn't upgrade the OS. I read that the process I used, and have used before, updates everythig
Fran
W1FJM

M1DNS

Post by M1DNS » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:22 am

Fran are you running with a std. Pistar install
Or is it one which ur Australian friend keeps "updating" for you.

If the latter we've asked numerous times he not post his "hacks" as they usually cause issues and result in stopping pistar from doing it's thing futhur down the line.

If you make alterations, move things around, rename things, change sources then obvs something is going to go wrong when pistar looks for that original name, source or file.

Andrew M1DNS, (Mod)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.

W1FJM

Post by W1FJM » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:34 pm

Andrew, I am running the standard stuff from your website. I didn't know my friend in Australia had a hacked version. We have reburned the image several times and had this happen. I am actually working with a friend of mine here in the US and the system is at his house so I do everything remotely.

I just looked at the dashboard and see that it is not ver 4RC3. It is back to 3.4.17. i don't know what he did now! I will have to get him to put ver4.0.0RC3 back on it.

Is there an issue using update/upgrade on 3,4,17? I didn't think there was.
Fran
W1FJM

M1DNS

Post by M1DNS » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:15 pm

Ok just a thought, I know he helped you considerably at one point... But, I think maybe you've misunderstood what I was asking in, that he doesn't have a hacked vers. as such, but often makes suggestions that users change this, alter that, rename etc. Not really taking into account that if you change a source file, or rename a file etc... eventually pistar is gonna bum out when it's looking for that particular file, name, source etc, when it needs to do it's thing. His knowledge of MMDVM is quite extensive but here in pistar there's a lot more going on that allows it to "self maintain" itself for the user, and such changes can have a direct effect.

As far as I'm aware none of the releases are suffering from any updating probs. currently. If there are I'm sure more users will make us aware both here and in the FB group.

Andrew M1DNS, (Mod)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.

W1FJM

Post by W1FJM » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:10 pm

Andrew,

here is what has happened today.

We rebuilt with ver4 RC3
changed port setting in the iptables for ssh, and dashboard

Then clicked on the update tab on the admin screen and this is what happened:

Starting update, please wait...
Stopping Services...
Done
Updating DV Binaries...
No updates for /usr/local/bin available
Done
Updating Pi-Star Binaries...
fatal: Unable to create '/usr/local/sbin/.git/index.lock': Read-only file system
No updates for /usr/local/sbin available
Done
Updating Hostfiles...
Done
Updating Dashboard...
No updates for /var/www/dashboard available
Done
Updating PiStar-Firewall...
Done
sed: couldn't open temporary file /etc/sedYQpnwJ: Read-only file system
sed: couldn't open temporary file /etc/sedhIlhEN: Read-only file system
Downloading P25 Voice Files...
mkdir: cannot create directory '/usr/local/etc/P25_Audio': Read-only file system

the system just hung up there and was inaccessible. We rebooted and could get back in with the ports we had set. Why and how do we stop this from happening

Then I used putty and SSH'd in. Ran sudo pistar-update, and the iptables got changed, removing all the port settings we put in.

We need to use the ports we set because we are in a shared facility and cannot use the ports you have set. How can we prevent the firewall from being changed if we run the sudo pistar-update?
We want to deploy the system to a repeater site and can't have this happening.

Thanks, Fran
Fran
W1FJM

w7efs

Post by w7efs » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:17 am

W1FJM wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:10 pm
... Ran sudo pistar-update, and the iptables got changed, removing all the port settings we put in.

We need to use the ports we set because we are in a shared facility and cannot use the ports you have set. How can we prevent the firewall from being changed if we run the sudo pistar-update? ...
There are only 5 topics in the FAQ, and that's one of them: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=206

W1FJM

Post by W1FJM » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:30 am

Thank you
Fran
W1FJM

W1FJM

Post by W1FJM » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:31 am

Thank you
Fran
W1FJM