Raspberry Pi 1b+

General support for the Pi-Star System
G6JUP

Raspberry Pi 1b+

Post by G6JUP » Wed May 01, 2019 10:27 am

Is the Raspberry Pi 1b+ suitable to use with a MMDVM with oled modem board running pi-star.

VK7HSE

Re: Raspberry Pi 1b+

Post by VK7HSE » Wed May 01, 2019 11:07 am

Edit: I was referring to the original model B with the 26 pin GPIO, but the first generation of the B+ will work just fine as it has the 40 pin GPIO!

Bear in mind that most mmdvm boards are designed for the A/B+ GPIO header (40 pins) so you could use it but unless you make a custom cable to interface the two you'll be missing the modem reset/reboot (used for firmware upgrades)

So with that in mind you could even just solder one of the 10 pin headers (GPIO PINS 1-10 on the Model B) but you won't have any support posts for holding the modem firmly in place as they are not going to align (they're in totally different locations)

Or another alternative would be to mount them side by side and run short jumper wire to the GPIO Header...

So yes you could, but it would just be easier to get a Pi-zero because that's will fit the Zumspot, MMDVM_HS_HAT and the Jumbospot (clones) without any issues and maintain a small footprint

But ultimately it is your decision!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

G6JUP

Post by G6JUP » Wed May 01, 2019 11:55 am

Thanks for the reply.
I am using the Pi 1B+ with 40 pin GPIO, the reason I ask the question is that it works for a couple of hours then it looses the wifi connection ie. the lights on wifi adapter goes out. During the time it is working brandmeister seems ok but dmr+ is just about unreadable and dmr2ysf fails to connect. My Jumbospot and Zumspot work perfectly.

AF4FA

Post by AF4FA » Wed May 01, 2019 1:58 pm

Try this.

If you lose WIFI after a period of inactivity it is due
to the power-saving-mode of the WiFi-chipset is set to on.
To get rid of this problem, perform the following steps:
* First login to your Pi by ssh.
* verify current setting: by typing:
iw wlan0 get power_save
* This shows, that power-saving is curently on or off.
* If off you are done. If on do the following.
* make the root-partition writeable:
sudo mount -o remount,rw /
* edit /etc/network/interfaces:
sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces
* scroll down to the section wlan0 (iface wlan0) after the line
* wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
* insert the following line:
wireless-power off
* Repeat this step for wlan1
* Save the file and reboot!
sudo reboot
* Connect by ssh again, and recheck power-saving:
iw wlan0 get power_save
* Now it should be off. If so you are done.

G6JUP

Post by G6JUP » Thu May 02, 2019 10:29 am

I solved the problem with the wifi by replacing the wifi dongle, but I still have a problem with dmr2ysf not connecting to a reflector and unreadable dmr+, brand meister works perfectly. I have swapped the sd card from a working jumbospot but I still have the same problems.

KD2RCQ

Post by KD2RCQ » Thu May 02, 2019 10:17 pm

I don’t know how to do this in the editor, as I don’t know the command line stuff. Is there anyway to do this in the GUI?

MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ » Fri May 03, 2019 6:39 am

G6JUP wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 10:29 am
I solved the problem with the wifi by replacing the wifi dongle, but I still have a problem with dmr2ysf not connecting to a reflector and unreadable dmr+, brand meister works perfectly. I have swapped the sd card from a working jumbospot but I still have the same problems.
UnReadable DMR+ - try an alternative master see if its master related.

DMR2YSF - Are you using DMR Gateway or not?
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk

G6JUP

Post by G6JUP » Fri May 03, 2019 11:38 am

It works dmr2ysf using dmr master dmr2ysf but not using dmr gateway. Dmr+ problem solved.

MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ » Fri May 03, 2019 4:20 pm

Using the 7 prefix and making the total length of any called reflector 7 digits (pad with zeros if you need to).
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk

G6JUP

Post by G6JUP » Sat May 04, 2019 6:22 pm

Programed radio to 7100420 for dmr2ysf, works on zumspot and jumbospot running 3.417 and Rc3 4.0.0. Swapped SD cards from those hots and I still have a problem. The pi 1B+ works drm2ysf using master dmr2ysf but not on dmr gateway to 7100420 cq-uk. I have tried other reflectors without success, dmr bandmeister and dmr+ all work using dmr gateway without any problems. It seems the dmr gateway does not like dmr2ysf.