Slow switching between Dashboard and Admin page Pi-Star 4.0.0

General support for the Pi-Star System
wb6dtb

Slow switching between Dashboard and Admin page Pi-Star 4.0.0

Post by wb6dtb » Mon May 13, 2019 8:51 pm

I have been experiencing long delay times when switching between the Dashboard and Admin pages using Pi-Star 4.0.0 RC-3 and RC-4. I have version 4.0.0 installed on two Pi3b+ units, one Pi3b unit and one Pi0w unit, all using Zumboard GPIO modem boards. When I first reboot the Pi's the Dashboard to Admin page delays are very short as I would expect, but as Pi run time lengthens the switching delays start to increase. After 3 to 4 hours of run time the page switching time can get up to 60 seconds and after 8 hours can be around 90 seconds. The two Pi3b+ units have Nextion screens attached which I have installed the latest Nextion driver. The Pi3b does not have any display attached and no external updates have been performed. Usually, after a long run time, overnight the last heard display will stop updating, although the hotspot continues to operate and the Nextion displays on the two Pi3b+ units continue to show activity normally. Interesting, the Pi0w does not have this switching delay problem, its normal switching time which has always been longer is about the same as a Pi0w using the Pi-Star Jessie Ver. 3.4.17. I have re-imaged one of the Pi3b+ units back to the Pi-Star Jessie beta Ver. 3.4.16 which was available originally to work with the new Pi3b+, and it performs better, without the long page switching times as the Pi run time increases over a 24 hour day. I am using 16g microSD cards on all of these Pi's. I have gone into SSH and using the raspian command 'df -h' looked at the memory allocation and the microSD cards are expanded out as expected using 4.0.0. When switching from either the Dashboard or Admin page to the Configuration page, the long delay does not occur, but when switching back from the Configuration page to either the Dashboard or Admin page, the long delay does occur. If a reboot the Pi, then the switching between pages delay again is fast, but slows as the Pi run time increases. I have tried both IE and Firefox browsers and have the same problem on both. Anyone else seen this problem or have a solution?

MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Re: Slow switching between Dashboard and Admin page Pi-Star 4.0.0

Post by MW0MWZ » Mon May 13, 2019 10:02 pm

The binaries in Pi-Star v4 create more logs, the more there are, the longer the processing time - its on my list of things to patch to get Pi-Star v4 out of RC status.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk

wb6dtb

Re: Slow switching between Dashboard and Admin page Pi-Star 4.0.0

Post by wb6dtb » Mon May 13, 2019 10:17 pm

Thank you for the reply and info. I was thinking I had a unique problem as I searched this forum and the Facebook support list and did not see any other reference to this. Great image, thanks for your efforts!!!

73, Dave