Help Installing AllstarLink on Pi-Star

General support for the Pi-Star System
VE3WVJ

Help Installing AllstarLink on Pi-Star

Post by VE3WVJ » Mon May 20, 2019 5:53 am

Hello everyone. i am trying to get more use out of my raspberry pi. I want to use it to run both my MMDVM hotspot using Pi-Star and also AllStarLink Server to run my node on Allstar. I dont need to link them. Just need both to run on the same Raspberry Pi. I have installed Allstarlink using this link https://wiki.allstarlink.org/wiki/ASL_F ... _Debian.3F yet it still does not want to work properly. I have also tried to setup iptables as i thought that was the reason why it was not connecting.. Can someone please help me get this going? Thanks for the help. Im not sure if it isnt working because of something on the side of it being a Pi-star issue with pi-star not letting it run or if it is on the side of being an AllstarLink issue...

VK7HSE

Re: Help Installing AllstarLink on Pi-Star

Post by VK7HSE » Mon May 20, 2019 7:47 am

Your biggest problem is that pi-star is setup to make the file system read only once the operating system has been loaded. So if the all-star service requires full read/write access you have some work ahead of you! (it's doable but you would be best just using another Raspberry Pi)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

KE7FNS

Post by KE7FNS » Mon May 20, 2019 10:08 pm

VE3WVJ wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 5:53 am
yet it still does not want to work properly.
That doesn't really give anyone any idea of where to begin to try to help you or where on earth the problem is.

Does the apt-get install process complete successfully? Any errors?
Have you entered your allstarlink login info in the configuration correctly? (https://wiki.allstarlink.org/wiki/Iax.conf)
Is your node registering with allstarlink? (green icon on the listing) or use asterisk to view the registration info. Its been a few years since I've messed with that "junk" for lack of a better term. It takes upwards of 10 to 15 minutes for your connection data to propagate the system for it to work correctly. Are you able to call someone, but they can't call you? Like what exactly is the problem? Those are just some of the most common ones I remember from years ago.

There used to be some different scripts that I used to build asterisk from the source, but it seems N4IRS has deleted that repo on github. I did happen to notice he now administrates one of the american Brandmeister servers, so I guess he cut ties with allstarlink, its a shame those scripts are no longer available.
Last edited by KE7FNS on Tue May 21, 2019 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VE3WVJ

Post by VE3WVJ » Tue May 21, 2019 3:02 am

Apt installed allstarlink without any errors. I started asl-menu and ran the initial setup. After initial setup I would usually test the connection using iaxrpt and I've done this many times on the raspberry Pi using the asl raspberry Pi image. I tested and could not get it to connect so I assumed that it was because of the iptables and firewall. I setup a new rule in iptables and tested again but still not working. That's when I came here to ask about what else could be the problem. I was not thinking about how the filesystem is read only but I noticed that after I installed asl that the rpi-ro command fails with "mount / in use" so it is stuck in RW mode. I was wondering if the port 4569 is the only port I need to open. Or what else might be stopping this from running. When I check the asterisk service it shows as loaded but not running.

w7efs

Post by w7efs » Tue May 21, 2019 5:20 am

Your descriptions of the errors are better expressed with copy-n-paste; arm-waving generalizations don't help others help you.

UDP port 4569 only needs forwarding if you wish other Allstar nodes to link to yours.

KE7FNS

Post by KE7FNS » Tue May 21, 2019 9:44 pm

VE3WVJ wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 3:02 am
Apt installed allstarlink without any errors.
Well, bad news, I was curious/bored and tried to install it that way on a Pi I had laying around.

While it doesn't put blinking red letters on the screen to notify you of a specific failure, but the install does in fact fail. It is a problem trying to build dahdi on a newer kernel.

run this in a SSH terminal:

Code: Select all

rpi-rw
sudo dpkg-reconfigure asl-dahdi-linux-dkms
and you'll see this:

Code: Select all

Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: XXXXXXXXX
Where the X's are the version of your kernel. Apparently there was some change in newer kernels that removed sound support which dahdi needs, so the only way it could ever possibly work is if you were to find an old image of pi-star that had a kernel on it older than 4.9, and then marked the kernel-headers and kernel packages to no longer update as stated in the ASL readme.

Sorry to tell you, but it just isn't worth the effort.

w7efs

Post by w7efs » Tue May 21, 2019 10:19 pm

KE7FNS wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 9:44 pm
Sorry to tell you, but it just isn't worth the effort.
Since the hardware is so inexpensive these days, most people who want combined EchoLink, IRLP and AllstarLink are using https://hamvoip.org/ but that's using ArchLinux, not Debian. The setup is about as easy as Pi-Star.

KE7FNS

Post by KE7FNS » Wed May 22, 2019 5:56 am

w7efs wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 10:19 pm
Since the hardware is so inexpensive these days, most people who want combined EchoLink, IRLP and AllstarLink are using https://hamvoip.org/ but that's using ArchLinux, not Debian. The setup is about as easy as Pi-Star.
Yeah, and you get free security risks included while running it. LOL

NO THANK YOU.

I dislike the fact that they refuse to follow GPL rules and publish the source code of their "improved" asterisk. I could go on and on and fill up pages of shady things hidden in that image.

N6WBL

Post by N6WBL » Wed May 22, 2019 6:11 pm

I'm running my Hamvoip image on a Pi 3A+ since it has a newer kernel and supports it, and it works flawlessly, $25.

Regarding all the GPL accusations that get thrown around online, the Hamvoip side has stated publicly at this time why they're not releasing source code (read it from them if inclined). I took it a step further and looked through the years of the official Allstarlink mailing list, and Doug and David from Hamvoip were some of the most helpful posters and contributors who successfully ported the code to the Beaglebone Black and eventually the Raspberry Pi. And they were publicly treated disgracefully by Jim Dixon and others in the official Allstarlink community. The only thing I can deduce is that it was a pride and turf infringement issue which was unbecoming to the official Allstarlink group leading Doug and David to fork the code and go their own way (it could also possibly have been jealousy). I'm a GPL and GNU/Linux guy myself, but given the circumstances around this particular case, Jim's passing and questions that left, I don't have a problem using Hamvoip.

Consequently, you won't find more helpful people than Doug and David from Hamvoip in helping you get your Allstarlink system up and running not to mention all the work that goes into polishing the software and making it easy to use and setup, and you can connect to Doug's hub and he'll take time to help you fine tune your setup or personally respond to you on their mailing list. I came away with diminished respect for many in the "official" Allstarlink community after reading their mailing list history not to mention other ways they behave online. And being Christian, I judge a tree by its fruit, as no good tree produces bad fruit, and no bad tree produces good fruit.