Which frequencies to use?

General support for the Pi-Star System
KE0FHS

Re: Which frequencies to use?

Post by KE0FHS »

k9ohv wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:58 pm I cant get anything to work at this point. I have heard that you need to run the 4.0 beta ver of pistar with the duplex, and i have done that. I can get into the dashboard and make changes, but still no luck being able to talk to the duplex with my HT.
You need Pi-Star 4.0.0-RC for the RPi 3B+. Duplex hotspots can work with either 3.4.x or 4.0.0.

You really need to get instructions related to the Radio/Modem Type to select from the seller. While you're at it, find out which command you need to use to update the firmware. If the seller can't give you a straight answer about those two pieces of information, you should return the board.

Someone else will need to help you with advice re: the Nextion TFT, and you might have better luck if you post a separate question about it in the Nextion category of the forum.

My advice: Focus on getting your hotspot to work with your HT before tackling the Nextion screen.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
k9ohv

Post by k9ohv »

Alright, got some things worked out, and ready to proceed with the display!
Notes: Wound up re-flashing the SD card and upon re configuring discovered that, even though the setting in the configuration was set to "duplex", i still needed to go in to expert/MMDVM host, and change the duplex value from 0 to 1.

I am now on the air.

Also leaving out the decimal point on the RX off- set seems to be working too. Just entered as -475

When installing the Nextion Driver, and then checking, im getting more positive reports when the installer runs.
Nextion driver is installed
AND running.
MVDVM host IS running.

So now my first set of questions:

I have installed the Nextion driver from github's contributor, ON7LDS. Does that driver work with all, or several tft'S? Or do i need to be looking for a specific driver to go with each tft file?

I installed the .tft file to the display "Model 7 flag" for 2.4 (my screen size) however, when it starts, first line says Model 8?

As always, Thank You for all the help.

Rob K9OHV
Last edited by k9ohv on Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
k9ohv

Post by k9ohv »

Well, I think im at a point where im beginning to think something is just wrong. I get the hotspot working, then begin to work on the display, then the hotspot stops working. I dont think im really making any changes that would do that! And as for the display, i read articles, and then try things and read some more, and try...

Im beginning to wonder if the board is printed wrong (RX and TX swapped?).

Question, if the TX and the RX are crossed, will it damage the screen? If not, im going to try switching them. Also, if the wires are crossed right now, would it make the hotspot work, then not work? Change settings on its own? Weird stuff like that? I seem to be having the hardest time with the display settings. Would changing say the modem port settings in the MMDVMhost settings cause the settings in other areas to change? namely the Nextion port area, Nextion driver port area, modem port , or the TTF serial area?

What do you all think?

Rob
w7efs

Post by w7efs »

k9ohv wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:24 pm What do you all think?
I think it's very unfortunate that a new topic wasn't started when the thread turned from the Subject: "Which frequencies to use?" It makes it that much more difficult for others to find solutions.
k9ohv

Post by k9ohv »

Sorry Tony,
I had originally started this thread with a frequency setting question and, as happens so often, took off in another direction as other problems came up. I was speaking with a couple of individuals here, making some headway, and didn't want to possibly lose them by moving, or starting a new thread.
k9ohv

Post by k9ohv »

KE7FNS wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:20 pm
k9ohv wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:24 pm Well, I think im at a point where im beginning to think something is just wrong. I get the hotspot working, then begin to work on the display, then the hotspot stops working. I dont think im really making any changes that would do that! And as for the display, i read articles, and then try things and read some more, and try...
It helps if you explain, what changes you made and what started not working. Details are important.
I know, That was mostly just a rant

k9ohv wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:24 pm Im beginning to wonder if the board is printed wrong (RX and TX swapped?).
TX and RX are supposed to be swapped in serial data communications. The TX of one device goes to the RX of the other device, and vice versa.
Yes, i know. It was one of the first things i learned. But everything is pointing to those lines being crossed. I wouldn't be surprised if the board was incorrectly printed. The screen seems to be doing everything correctly except receiving data. Meaning data loaded onto the display board works (touchscreen), If you say it wont hurt, i think i will try that next (tonite).
k9ohv wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:24 pm Change settings on its own? Weird stuff like that?
What? Nothing should be changing settings on its own. What might be happening is you are selecting a port in the Nextion area on the first page of the configuration screen, and it does change the settings for you when you look at it in the expert section, but nothing else should be changing. In fact you shouldn't even be changing that port setting anymore. Since you have installed the Nextion Driver, that port on the first configuration page HAS to be /dev/ttyNextionDriver.
Perhaps this may be my fault. Im thinking that "Apply changes" is different than "rebooting", and that is also different from "shutdown", as far as things being saved. I was smart enough to back things up after i got the duplex working and before i started fooling atround with the display settings. I restored today, and at least i got back on the air this morning.
k9ohv wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:24 pm I seem to be having the hardest time with the display settings. Would changing say the modem port settings in the MMDVMhost settings cause the settings in other areas to change? namely the Nextion port area, Nextion driver port area, modem port , or the TTF serial area?
Yes, and no.

If each setting isn't set correctly, things aren't going to work, and if you set the wrong port in the modem area, then nothings going to work.

You shouldn't be poking around changing any of those settings anyways. You set them to the proper settings, and thats it, you leave it alone.

for your hotspot Within the MMDVM host section, right?

Code: Select all

In the Expert settings  

In the [modem] section 
port /dev/ttyAMA0

[transparent data]]
enable 1
SendFrameType 1

[TFT Serial]
port /dev/ttyNextionDriver

[Nextion]
port /dev/ttyNextionDriver

[NextionDriver]
port modem

Don't mind the troll, the last couple of posts of his on this form have been rather unhelpful. Anyone searching for "Nextion" is going to be directed to this thread no matter what the title is, so his entire statement about it being difficult to find because of the title is a load of crap. I find that humorous and ironic as one of his responses lately was to search to find the info they were looking for.

Every forum's got'em...
Funny, what they think is public service is more harm than good with respect to saving time. Having to take the time to read, interpret the level of arrogance, form an appropriate response that wont start a whole separate (time consuming) dialogue, is just an aggravation i could do without at this point in my learning...
w7efs

Post by w7efs »

KE7FNS wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:20 pmDon't mind the troll, the last couple of posts of his on this form <sic> have been rather unhelpful.
If you're cowardly referring to me and my comments about a changed Subject: then you obviously know nothing about starNet and ircddb (KE7FNS isn't even D-Star registered) which are my last several posts. If you're cowardly referring to someone else then please ignore this.
Last edited by w7efs on Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
w7efs

Post by w7efs »

... and where was your most helpful contribution to those topics? The OP asked for comments here and I replied. It's you who is being combative with your insulting "troll" remark.
w7efs

Post by w7efs »

KE7FNS wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:53 am
w7efs wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:39 am ... and where was your most helpful contribution to those topics? The OP asked for comments here and I replied. It's you who is being combative.
How is that relevant?
It's relevant because you called my honest comment a "troll". If you want to insult others then be prepared for the fallout.
k9ohv

Post by k9ohv »

Ok Tony, I was going to let it go, but now you are interfering with me and my Elmer, so here goes...

Instead of making remarks about what is already done (which i cant do anything about at this point), What would you suggest i do at this point?

Your post:
"I think it's very unfortunate that a new topic wasn't started when the thread turned from the Subject: "Which frequencies to use?" It makes it that much more difficult for others to find solutions."

How can you word something like that, and not expect to get this kind of response? Unless you are looking for that kind of thing, in which case, Shame on you.

There is really no room for that here...

Hams are (supposed to be) a community where helping others is one of their primary functions. Not to discourage others by telling them "that it is very unfortunate". Who talks like that anyway? Perhaps you don't subscribe to that (HAM) way of thinking. Personally, I can think of a couple of different ways you could have worded your post that was not so disparaging, while at the same time, being more helpful..

You sound like a disappointed parent talking to his 3 year old!

Next time you see something out of line, take a step back and ask how would you like to be addressed? Or take it to one of the Admins.

You may know an Admin here, and you may message him and relate to him that there is someone on the forum (Me) that you now don't like, and please ban him... he embarrassed me. That is up to you. But keep in mind that i didn't do anything to you. You popped in here, dropped your disrespect, and left, thinking that i would just "take it" and not respond. I am only guilty of posting off topic, and if that is the way you want to proceed, it will just reinforce my point.
Last edited by k9ohv on Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.