Nextion screen not working

General support for the Pi-Star System
AA6IO

Nextion screen not working

Post by AA6IO »

Hello everyone and hope you can help me. I have several Zumspots, one with OLED screen, and all seem to be working fine.
Just bought the Zumspot RPi Nextion 2.4 Kit (assembled) from HRO earlier today. Seemed to start working fine, used a backup configuration from another Zumspot, and started receiving TG91 DMR as configured no problem.
However, Nextion screen not working. Followed instructions, went to Expert Mode, MMDVM host, and set "Nextion" under General settings. Checked Nextion parameters in the MMDVM host settings and all are as stated in the instructions. Pressed apply changes, but nothing happened. Rebooted and again screen not working. Just shows generic message with Model 7 v2.2 by PD0DIB at top of screen and other general info. No IP number showing.
The Zumspot is working fine both with ethernet and Wi-Fi on DMR, Dashboard shows info, all seems OK except Nextion screen not showing information.
Shut down the Z, restarted and still nothing on screen. Any ideas what may be the problem. Thank you for your attention.

Steve AA6IO
KE0FHS

Re: Nextion screen not working

Post by KE0FHS »

Hi Steve, did you follow the setup guide (PDF) that you can download from HRO? https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-016721
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
AA6IO

Post by AA6IO »

Hi Toshen,
Yes I did follow those instructions. Will try again later today and report back. Thank you.
Steve
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

AA6IO wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:02 pm Hi Toshen,
Yes I did follow those instructions. Will try again later today and report back. Thank you.
Steve
That's strange, it should just work once you get it running on your network and have enabled at least one mode (DMR, D-STAR, etc.). They also have the Pi-Star image available at the bottom of the page, so you can try reflashing the microSD card. You might consider not restoring a backup image, just in case that is interfering with the Nextion setup.

I personally prefer to configure things manually when I flash new installs. I created a cheat sheet with all my settings on the Configuration page (and a few things I set up via the Expert Editor), and then I just refer to that when I'm setting things up. Takes only a few minutes, and that way everything is clean.

If none of that works, you may need to contact HRO for an exchange/return.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
AA6IO

Post by AA6IO »

Toshen and Jason,
Thanks for advice and recommendations. Just got home after a busy day. Will try these things and report back.
Regards, 73s
Steve
AA6IO

Post by AA6IO »

Very strange behavior. With Zumspot (Z) and Nextion (N) screen, TGs received on dashboard, but no audio to my DMR radios, no receive of DMR from radio to Pi-star, and no info at all on N screen. When use identical configuration (even with same SD card) on Z with OLED screen, all works normally (TGs on dashboard, audio to radio, receive of DMR by pi-star, and OLED works).
In fact, when I take the Z with the N screen built in, but set config for OLED screen, audio comes back, audio heard, and DMR from radio received by pi-star. Really strange behavior. I might get on Colorado HD and pi-star Talk Groups in next couple of days and discuss this weird behavior.
This all makes HF, CW Dxing, and getting my Extra class in the 1970s look easy. But I love the challenges of digital radio, especially DMR, and hotspots. Something new after being licensed for 56 years.
AA6IO

Post by AA6IO »

Jason,
It is a Zumspot with Nextion screen already assembled purchased from HRO Anaheim 2 days ago. Details below.

ZUM Radio
ZUMspot RPi Nextion 2.4 Kit
ZUMspot RPi Nextion 2.4 Assembled Kit - Includes Power Supply

I already have four other Zumspots, one with an OLED screen, that function fine on D-Star, Fusion, and DMR. Zumspot with OLED set as MMDVM Display Type OLED with Port: /dev/tty/AMA0 Layout: G4KLX. Expert settings: MMDVM Host: General: Display OLED OLED: Type 6, brightness, invert, scroll, rotation, and case all zero. Been working fine for 3 months. I purchased kit from HRO and configured pi-star myself.

New Zumspot with Nextion (pre-assembled) when purchased set by me on pi-star set up exactly same except with MMDVM Display Type Nextion with Port: /dev/tty/AMA0 Layout: G4KLX. Expert settings: MMDVM Host: General: Display Nextion Nextion: Port: /dev/tty/AMA0, brightness 50, display clock 1, UTC 0, screen layout 0, idle brightness 20. Not working at all.

I checked the pi-star folder on SD card an there is no Nextion driver installed. However, this unit supposed to work as is, with above settings, except for ON7LDS layouts, which as you mention, require driver.

I have been using pi-star for about one year without any real problems. I don't install any of the screens on hotspots myself.

Steve
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

FYI, I designed my own Nextion screens (3.5", 3.2", 2.4", both enhanced and regular) based on an ON7LDS image, I use the ON7LDS L2 layout for all my Nextion screens, and I have never installed a Nextion driver. For me, the added features of Model 8 haven't been worth the hassle.

One question: have you taken apart the case and looked at how the Nextion screen is connected? If it uses the ZUM Radio shim connected to the GPIO, it's possible that may be the issue. I tried that shim for a couple OLED screens and found it problematic; sometimes it worked, sometimes not.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
AA6IO

Post by AA6IO »

Toshen,
I believe it is on the GPIO. However, I paid $220 for this unit, and I'm not going to start pulling the case apart. This unit will go back to HRO today.
I already have four working Zumspots and an OpenSpot 1 and 2. Certainly don't need this unit to use any digital modes. Been doing D-Star, DMR, Fusion, and cross-modes successfully with pi-star for about a year now. I much prefer pi-star to Openspot because can play around with settings.
I have been reading about Nextion screens the last couple of days. I'm a retired physician (age 70) and never really delved into things like Linux or Raspberry Pi's until the last year or so. Now that I read you can buy larger screens and install via USB, the heck with this pre-assembled unit. I'll get my $220 back and start actually trying to build my own from scratch with Nextion screens.
Thank you and Jason for your help. I'm sure I will have more questions in the future. I recently discovered the Colorado HD and Pi-star Talk Groups on Brandmeister and will start to use them. Perhaps you are on those groups. Have spoken with Andy Taylor MM0MWZ recently on TG 31672 (Pi-star chat).
Toshen, I know you have published a lot of help for digital enthusiasts, I've read some, so thank you for your efforts. Jason, thank you as well.
Steve AA6IO
AA6IO

Post by AA6IO »

Jason
Yes, I made a mistake in my post, but not in pi-star software. Indeed, it is:
/dev/ttyAMA0 without the slash between tty/AMA0. Started thinking later the same thing. If I'm going to learn this stuff, I should read all the posts on this forum about Nextion screens and do some real studying about how these screens interface with RPi and hotspot boards.
Even if I open the case, so what, I'll learn. I still got all the parts including the RPi3 Zum board, Nextion screen, and case. This is frustrating, but I am going to hang in there and get this solved one way or another. It will be a great learning process, and I can share my experience with group. Your advice will be taken about hanging in there.
I will keep you and Toshen posted on what is going on. Thanks to both of you.
Steve