Nextion screen not working

General support for the Pi-Star System
AA6IO

Re: Nextion screen not working

Post by AA6IO »

Jason
Thanks for the kind offer. Am busy now with grandkids and have Downey Amateur Radio Club meeting tonight. Will play with settings again late tonight. Will try in next day or so to contact you on TAC 310 and move off to higher TAC group or direct. My cell phone is 562 805-1363. Don't mind giving it out on this forum. If OK, send me a text with your info. Would love to learn more about how this exciting technology works. Greatly appreciate your offer.

Steve
AA6IO

Post by AA6IO »

Jason,
Just got home about one hour ago. The instructions in manual for this unit say to set port to /dev/ttyAMA0. However, per your recommendation I set port to Modem. Nextion screen now working fine. Problem seems resolved with this simple change. Still interested in pursuing further knowledge of pi-star with these various screens. Thanks so much for your help and advice from Toshen.
Steve
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

Excellent news!

I thought that was strange. That's why I wanted you to open the case and check the connection. If the Nextion is connected to the Serial port on the Radio/Modem board, then Modem is the correct port. However, like you, I looked at that PDF and was left wondering whether this kit had the Nextion connected to the GPIO in some unusual manner (perhaps to support the Nextion Model 8 driver or something), and for that reason needed a different port setting. I had a hard time imagining that, but you never know. I even emailed HRO to ask them about it.

FYI, in my experience, the /dev/ttyAMA0 port has always been for an OLED display connected to the I2C through-holes on the radio/modem board.

I have emailed Jim, KI6ZUM, to let him know about this.

Thanks for your patience and persistence in figuring things out. Finding the solution will help everyone. (And it's a great feeling when you finally discover the solution, right?!)
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm