No DMR reception on new Zumspot

General support for the Pi-Star System
AA6IO

No DMR reception on new Zumspot

Post by AA6IO »

This is a continuation of the recent Nextion screen thread. New Zumspot pre-assembled with 2.4 inch Nextion screen working fine now in Modem setting with Nextion screen. See recent Nextion screen thread for details. However, the other problem with this unit was DMR. I am using the exact configuration as on four other Zumspots that work fine with my Anytone 868 and 878 on DMR, on D-Star, and on Fusion. However, this new Zumspot with Nextion screen only working on D-Star and Fusion.
All parameters are exactly the same as other Zumspots except of course now the Nextion screen settings. All other Zumspots, including one with OLED screen, work fine on all three modes (D-Star, DMR, Fusion). However, this new one, although it responds on dashboard to keying of TGs such as 4000 Disconnect, 9990 Parrot, 91 WW, TAC 310, etc, receives no DMR traffic from Brandmeister despite trying different BM servers (normally use 3101 or 3102, sometimes 3103 or 3108). and no audio from Zumspot to DMR radio or audio from DMR radio to Zumspot.
Using the same exact configuration on other Z's, no problem at all on DMR, never has been. I tried a clean install of pi-star 3.17, and then another SD card with clean install of new version 4, figuring the RPI 3+ would work better with that. Same exact behavior. I take the very same SD card from the new Z with Nextion screen, put it in any of the other Zs, and everything is fine. Put it back it new unit. Same absent DMR behavior.
Has anyone ever experienced a pi-star board that is defective on one particular mode? I'm thinking of opening the case and switching out to another Zumspot board with the RPi 3B+ and Nextion screen and see what happens. This seems to be isolated behavior on DMR with all my DMR radios (Anytones, BTech 6X2 DMR, and Alinco DJ-5MDT). D-star using my TH-D74A and Fusion using FT-70 and FT-2DR are working fine. However, before I try this switch, wonder if anyone else ever experienced such behavior.
Got the Nextion screen going on this new Z with help of Toshen and Jason. However, the DMR problem has also been present from the outset. Any ideas or help appreciated.
Steve AA6IO
AA6IO

Re: No DMR reception on new Zumspot

Post by AA6IO »

Sorry for last post. Just saw other threads regarding lack of DMR reception on Zumspot/Jumbospots. I will review those threads in detail.
Steve
AA6IO

Post by AA6IO »

Jason
Ok, I will try that later today and report results.
Steve
AA6IO

Post by AA6IO »

Jason,
You are a genius. New Zumspot with Nextion screen now working beautifully on DMR and all other modes. Great display. Just went to BM page, set security ON, entered a password, gave this Z a unique sub ID (05) after my CCS7 ID and all working great. Incidently, as a trial, I then deleted the the sub 05 using just my CCS7. Still worked fine. The key for me was setting BM self-care to Security ON and using unique password.
Glad I hung in there with all these issues, a real learning experience. This pi-star forum is a great learning resource and hope that I can contribute. Just called you on TAC 310 but no response. Hope to meet you on air soon. Would also like to talk with other well known contributors on this forum. Lots of knowledge in this pi-star forum. I have the OpenSpot 1 and 2, but enjoy much more tinkering with pi-star. Get frustrated sometimes, but knowledge you can gain is great.
In summary, setting Nextion screen to Modem and using security + password on BM self-care resolved everything with this new unit. I will pass this info on to my friends at HRO in Anaheim (just few miles from my house). I hang out there once in a while.
Steve AA6IO