Chinese MMDVM UVIYN: PiStar will not "see" spot

General support for the Pi-Star System
KM4UJP

Chinese MMDVM UVIYN: PiStar will not "see" spot

Post by KM4UJP »

I got this chinese hotspot today and went through the process to set it up. It hooks up to my WiFi just fine, but Pi-star will not see the hotspot.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have a ZumSpot that works fine with Pi-star. I shut down the ZumSpot so they would not fight.

Kind of out of ideas here.

TIA
KC6NKK

Re: Chinese MMDVM UVIYN: PiStar will not "see" spot

Post by KC6NKK »

What do you mean by, pi-star will not see the hotspot?
That hotspot doesnt use pi-star at all.
KM4UJP

Post by KM4UJP »

That would explain it!!
KC6NKK

Post by KC6NKK »

I also purchased one of those portable hotspots to evaluate and determine its full capabilities. Compare it against the jumbo, zum, and other pi based hotspots available.

It should have come with some very basic instructions to log into it and setup the parameters. I have successfully had the one that I purchased work for dmr and connect properly to brandmiester. It does not use a pi or conventional radio hat, as well as not using pi-star, it has proprietary software that is, well not very user friendly.

Ive found that the boards draw more current than the pi/jumbo or pi/zum combos and it is very cheaply built internally using hot glue to secure the battery and the circuit boards inside the usb power bank shell that they use to hold it all together. Mine lasts about 4hrs 30 min per charge.

Now for full disclosure, I purchased and evaluated that hotspot due to the fact that I sell "portable battery powered case" solutions on ebay. I wanted to know how it stacked up to the jumbo or zum boards, and sell for that low of a price. I found out and I would assume most will also. So my reasons are biased and you can take from it whatever you wish.

kc6nkk