De Jitter queue?

General support for the Pi-Star System
G4AON

De Jitter queue?

Post by G4AON »

A friend tells me how good his Shark RF is... I note in their instructions a suggested setting to use with a mobile phone hotspot, with 1000mS, or longer, being recommended for use via 3G/4G. This setting is called the DeJitter Queue and might be applicable to all modes.

In Pi-Star there is a Jitter setting under Expert Editors, but it only seems to be under DMR, not across all modes.

Any thoughts on improving the performance when used mobile with 3G/4G connections?

73 Dave
ID51E plus 2
ID5100E
IC9700
AnyTone AT-D878UV
Chinese MMDVM with OLED on a Pi 3B
DVAP on a Pi 3B
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Re: De Jitter queue?

Post by MW0MWZ »

G4AON wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:57 am A friend tells me how good his Shark RF is... I note in their instructions a suggested setting to use with a mobile phone hotspot, with 1000mS, or longer, being recommended for use via 3G/4G. This setting is called the DeJitter Queue and might be applicable to all modes.

In Pi-Star there is a Jitter setting under Expert Editors, but it only seems to be under DMR, not across all modes.

Any thoughts on improving the performance when used mobile with 3G/4G connections?

73 Dave
Yes and yes, and yes it works in a similar way, although it is currently for DMR only.
Jitter is the amount of difference (in ms) between packets arriving at their destination (loosely speaking) - so if you are on a connection with high jitter like a cell phone data connection, then you can push the size of the queue up a bit. How much will it helps - that depends on how bad your connection is and if you can cope with the delay that will come with it.

300 or so seems to be about OK for home broadband, you could probably reduce the figure if you had a good upstream with super low jitter to the master you want to use, you can go op from here if you are on a 3G connection, to maybe double it or so.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
G4AON

Post by G4AON »

Hi Andy
Any plans to include the jitter setting for modes in addition to DMR?

I understand from the Shark RF people that their jitter setting applies to all modes.

73 Dave
ID51E plus 2
ID5100E
IC9700
AnyTone AT-D878UV
Chinese MMDVM with OLED on a Pi 3B
DVAP on a Pi 3B
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

G4AON wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:15 pm Hi Andy
Any plans to include the jitter setting for modes in addition to DMR?

I understand from the Shark RF people that their jitter setting applies to all modes.

73 Dave
That is more a question for Jonathan, G4KLX (MMDVMHost Author) - there has been some work on the JitterBuffer before - and it caused rather more issues than it solved.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk