Tac talkgroups can no longer be added as static?

General support for the Pi-Star System
N0SNP

Tac talkgroups can no longer be added as static?

Post by N0SNP »

Noticed last weekend for the first time that Brandmeister would not allow the Tac talkgroups (310 etc.) to be added to my hotspots as static. Brandmeister returns a “cannot be added as static” error.

I run a duplex hotspot with 91 as static on TS1 and 310 as static on TS2. 91 can still be added... but not 310.

Anyone else notice this? Verified to work fine for me before last weekend.

N0SNP
N0SNP

Re: Tac talkgroups can no longer be added as static?

Post by N0SNP »

OK thanks! Just wanted to make sure nothing wrong on my end.

N0SNP
W1KMC

Post by W1KMC »

Those are probably all the Kerchunkers. Now that 310 is not static, I bet you'll see a lot more garbage like this.
I am no developer, guru, expert, nor do I claim to be or want to be. All advice I give is purely from experience and my efforts to help others.

W1KMC - Kevin M Carman
Bangor, ME
Jumbospot on a Pi0W
DMR 3123142 & 3123143
HHUS Trunk Ext 4329
KD8DVR

Post by KD8DVR »

KE7FNS wrote:Anyone else only getting like .5 or 1 second of audio on 310?

I just flashed my radio to a new firmware and I'm wondering if something is wrong with the new firmware or if its something the Admins are doing. I can't seem to find any information.
Tac 310 was shut down by BM admins indefinitely. It'll come back up when word gets around that the tac groups aren't to be used as call groups. Use 3100 instead to park on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All messages posted are personal opinion only and may not constitute fact.
N6WBL

Post by N6WBL »

KE7FNS wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:04 pm
Yeah, looks like now 310-319 are not able to be set as static now, my list keeps getting smaller and smaller.

I wonder how long it'll take for them to realize that the same issues they had on 310 are just going to return on 3100. XD
I'm not on Facebook, so I think I might be missing some Brandmeister updates. What are they trying to do with 310-319? When I first got on DMR/BM TG 310 was being used like TG 3100 but just busier. People would have quick QSO's or move off for longer.
N6WBL

Post by N6WBL »

KE7FNS wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:23 am
I'm not on facebook either, but they don't appear to be making any formal announcements on what they are doing. I've checked their twitter, their website, and nothing but silence on the matter. I have no idea what they are doing. I heard 2nd hand info that one of the Admins said there is a 15 minute time limit when using TAC 310 now, and that if you go over that time limit you get blocked. No idea how accurate that info is, so take it with a grain of salt.
It's real. The Admin is N3FE. I couldn't rustle up anyone to talk to when I soldered the header on a Pi Zero for a new N5BOC simplex board. So I popped into TG 310 and asked for a signal report and would have stuck around for a short QSO like is usually on TG 310, but N3FE kind of rudely said it wasn't for testing and blocked me. Seems like one of those technical guys that has no patience for people violating his rules whether he's conveyed them well or not. He did mention in a post that he expects users of Brandmeister to do some research, so if you're ignorantly violating one of his possibly not well shared rules he'll block you. I'm going to call him the Brandmeister Nazi. No TG 310 for you!

Note, the block was for my hotspot with suffix, so you could change your suffix or use another hotspot if you run into him and he blocks you. I won't be donating money to Brandmeister again anytime soon. And I had given them Bitcoin too, smh, :).
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

There is something about this on the BrandMeister Wiki under United States:
https://wiki.brandmeister.network/index ... of_America
TAC (tactical) Channels

TAC 310 - 312 are bridged between different networks through DMRX so that communications between different networks are possible. Please allow time between each transmission to allow others to also use the talk groups. When a users on a cbridge activates a talkgroup, they will not hear anything until the next transmission starts. We are a guest on these talk groups. TAC 310 - 312 should NOT be used as a primary talk groups by anyone! USA Nationwide 3100 should be used for that. If you wish to have longer conversation, that is what the TACs are for. Not to initiate a conversation.

Update July 6th 2019: The TAC channels can no longer be made as static talkgroups. The TACs were being used as call groups, which they aren't. We have also removed the auto-static option on the hotspots. This means they will time out after a duration of time.
There also has been a little bit of discussion about it in the BrandMeister General Support (English) Telegram group:
09 July Ralph A. Schmid admin

310 is intended as TAC group, not for ragchewing, and when misuse grew, this limitation was installed

it was a special US issue, many people that refused stopping misusing the TG, so the US team saw no other possibility....

and it was especially about people who were kindly asked not to do this - but they continued...
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

KE0FHS wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:04 pm There is something about this on the BrandMeister Wiki under United States:
https://wiki.brandmeister.network/index ... of_America
The USA Master servers 3101. 3102. 3103 and 3108 will no longer support the DV4Mini as of January 2108
:lol: Don't think any of us expect to live to that date :lol:

{Probably supposed to be 2018}

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber