Password not working

General support for the Pi-Star System
K5FJR

Password not working

Post by K5FJR »

I've tried Pi-Star and Raspberry at the prompt:

http://pi-star.attlocal.net is requesting your username and password. The site says: “Restricted

Just loops back to the same message. When I cancel, I get "401 Authorization Required"

If I pull the power from my hot spot/Pi 0 and put the SD card in my computer, can I see what the problem is? Or reset the PW? OR just reload and got back to square one?

All this trouble began when my Windows 7 OS went south and I had to have a new OS (Windows 7 ProUser) installed. I can get to the dashboard
but not to the admin site.

Russ
K5FJR

PS, I am not a Linux user and don't know raspian.
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Re: Password not working

Post by MW0MWZ »

Does the stock username / password combo work?

Usename: pi-star
Password: raspberry

YES those are CaSe SensiTivE
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

I'm a touch surprised at a router that is feeding a Windows box such a fully qualified hostname.

On Win10, my AT&T U-verse router responds to just a bare "pi-star" (well, in truth, "pi-star-3b" as I'd renamed the host in the control panel); similar for my Beaglebone and R-Pi3B web server. I believe Mac's tend to see "pi-star.local" -- not something like "*.attlocal.net".

I'd suggest installing PuTTY and attempting to SSH directly to the box... or even start with just ping/tracert

Code: Select all

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17134.829]
(c) 2018 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Wulfraed>tracert pi-star-3b

Tracing route to pi-star-3b.attlocal.net [192.168.1.79]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     5 ms     2 ms     1 ms  pi-star-3b.attlocal.net [192.168.1.79]

Trace complete.

C:\Users\Wulfraed>
Note how tracert only needed the hostname itself, and not the rest of the domain -- although it does appear that using the .attlocal.net domain IS functional.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
K5FJR

Post by K5FJR »

MW0MWZ wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:33 pm Does the stock username / password combo work?

Usename: pi-star
Password: raspberry

YES those are CaSe SensiTivE
Yes, I've tried them both lower case (tried that way first.....)
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

If those aren't working, it implies that someone, at some time, changed the password for the pi-star user account (it's less likely that they replaced the user account with a different name).

The is no way to recover passwords in Linux -- they undergo a one-way hash; when one logs in, the user name is looked up in the password lists to find the saved hash value, the seed bytes are retrieved, and the password gets hashed using that seed -- if the hash matches, it is assumed valid.

Since a normal R-Pi system tends to only have one user name defined, the best that could be done requires a Linux computer (since Windows can not see Linux ext# partitions), mount the SD card on that computer, and as root, edit the password files (both passwd and the shadow file -- for security, passwords, even hashed, are not commonly saved in the passwd file anymore). one would have to substitute the hash/seed of a known password where the unknown password hash is currently found. NOTE: this is editing the files on the mounted SD card -- not the files on the running Linux system! (Editing passwords on a running system is done using the passwd command).

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber