Need to key Duplex to start receiving, but not my jumbo?

General support for the Pi-Star System
k9ohv

Need to key Duplex to start receiving, but not my jumbo?

Post by k9ohv »

Is there a setting in the dashboard that controls this? Its weird, my Jumbo starts right up and begins to receive. But with my Duplex, i need to key it first to hear a talk group. And then it drops it after a period of time, even if it is active.
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Re: Need to key Duplex to start receiving, but not my jumbo?

Post by MW0MWZ »

In short - YES, thats a difference between a hotspot and a repeater.

The networks see the duplex board as a repeater and treat it like one, all the dynamic talk groups time out after 15 mins of no local use.
You can set your most used TGs static using BrandMeister self care (or the dashboard if you have your API Key setup).

Hotspots (on BM at least) will keep the last used talk group "sticky" so that it doesn't time out, so this is exactly why you have the difference.

Hope that helps.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
k9ohv

Post by k9ohv »

MW0MWZ wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:27 am In short - YES, thats a difference between a hotspot and a repeater.

The networks see the duplex board as a repeater and treat it like one, all the dynamic talk groups time out after 15 mins of no local use.

Mine seems to drop after only 5 min

You can set your most used TGs static using BrandMeister self care (or the dashboard if you have your API Key setup).
Hotspots (on BM at least) will keep the last used talk group "sticky" so that it doesn't time out, so this is exactly why you have the difference.

But you have to do that every time you startup the duplex, yes?

Hope that helps.
Yes, thanks Andy
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

k9ohv wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:46 pm
MW0MWZ wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:27 am In short - YES, thats a difference between a hotspot and a repeater.

Mine seems to drop after only 5 min

But you have to do that every time you startup the duplex, yes?

Hope that helps.
Yes, thanks Andy
Dropping at 5 mins would be pretty quick, thats a network thing that we cant change, try a different master and see if its only happening on that one.

Once you set some static TGs, those stay static until you change them - so dont need to do that on every startup. If you made say TG91 static, it will stay there until you remove it, no matter if you reboot etc.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
k9ohv

Post by k9ohv »

What if i were to change the controller mode in the dashboard from duplex to simplex? Would the network then see it as a hotspot?
KD8DVR

Post by KD8DVR »

k9ohv wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:21 am What if i were to change the controller mode in the dashboard from duplex to simplex? Would the network then see it as a hotspot?
I believe so, yes. But it's a waste of device capability.
AntiSquid Disclaimer: All messages posted are personal opinion only and may not constitute fact.
k9ohv

Post by k9ohv »

OK, So lets weigh the options. Can someone tell me what the function or "benefit" of the Duplex is? That is, without drowning me in technical jargon? I hear conflicting answers. Some say, Yes, it is a repeater. Some say it allows monitoring of both time slots.

Maybe it does both ?

Would i be correct in saying that this "Duplex" can be used just like a repeater in that, It can be receiving my signal AND send it to both the internet (A DMR Master) AND transmit that same signal out the TX side to be received locally? like say if i had another HT radio within range?

That would be of value, but maybe not needed all the time.

If it just allows monitoring of both time slots, that would only be useful if i wanted to use it for local or direct traffic (time slot 1) as well monitoring time slot 2, right? If so, not much use there for me, so i could make this simplex, and be able to monitor a talk group longer. That is the reason for this thread. I dont like how the Duplexes get their talk groups dropped sooner than the simplexes. AND need to be keyed to even start monitoring!

And...

If i didn't have the need to be running two HTs at the same time on this Duplex, i could change it to simplex to monitor a talk group longer. That would be of value. And yes, i understand, i wouldn't be using the full benefit of the Duplex. But it seems that full benefit leaves out some of the components of value (for me).

question:
Does changing from Duplex to Simplex (in the dashboard) change any other settings that i would have to change back if i were to want to go back and forth between Duplex and Simplex if the need ever arose?

Thanks,
Rob
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

k9ohv wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:56 pm OK, So lets weigh the options. Can someone tell me what the function or "benefit" of the Duplex is? That is, without drowning me in technical jargon? I hear conflicting answers. Some say, Yes, it is a repeater. Some say it allows monitoring of both time slots.
The dual boards have one immediate advantage over the simplex hotspots, which is that you can transmit even when your radio is in the middle of receiving. This means that you can easily unlink from a busy talkgroup even when the hams using the TG don't leave gaps between their transmissions.

Another advantage of the dual boards is that you can use both time slots, for example, you can use two DMR radios, one linked via TS1 and the other linked via TS2, to listen to both linked talkgroups simultaneously.
Would i be correct in saying that this "Duplex" can be used just like a repeater in that, It can be receiving my signal AND send it to both the internet (A DMR Master) AND transmit that same signal out the TX side to be received locally? like say if i had another HT radio within range?
No.
Does changing from Duplex to Simplex (in the dashboard) change any other settings that i would have to change back if i were to want to go back and forth between Duplex and Simplex if the need ever arose?
[/quote]

In General Configuration, for duplex, you have both an RX and TX frequency; for simplex, just one frequency. I'm not sure that the RX and TX frequencies would be preserved if you switch to simplex and then back to duplex, but am guessing not.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm