Wifi Speed

General support for the Pi-Star System
NO8J

Wifi Speed

Post by NO8J »

Hi,

Tried connecting with the Pi-Star to the wifi at the campground. While I was able to connect just find, I wasn't able to communicated. The wifi system is overloaded and very slow.

This raises the question, just what is the minimum recommended wifi speed (MBPS) for communication?

73 de NO8J
AF6VN

Re: Wifi Speed

Post by AF6VN »

There are two factors here...

WiFi "speed"
Packet contention/interference

A quick glance via Google shows that DMR and D-STAR pure bit-rates are only around 9600bps (low enough that a dial-up 56kbps modem could handle the traffic). WiFi-G has a bit rate of 54Mbps -- but a lot of that is redundant data for error correction, giving an average rate of just 22Mbps.

However, one has to account for the IP packet wrapping the voice data, packet retries due to collision and interference from other nodes, etc.
https://blogs.arubanetworks.com/industr ... ontention/

Digital voice doesn't use a high bit-rate, but it DOES rely upon a regular timed data source. Jitter in packet arrival/transmission will cause breakups and losses.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

It's also possible that the ports required were not open from the site, or that some other issue with the internet connectivity at the site caused it to fail.
Did you get anything - could you see data coming in, but maybe with a high loss for example? or wouldn't connect to any network?
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
NO8J

Post by NO8J »

Hi Andy,

I was able to connect, but couldn't get any data. What I need to do is try again, this time try and get into the dashboard with a tablet.

73 de NO8J