Delay in going to transmit

General support for the Pi-Star System
WB4SJN

Delay in going to transmit

Post by WB4SJN »

I am running a Radioddity GD77 into a hotspot(DXMINI) and I have noticed that it is taking anywhere from 2 - 3 seconds or more for pi-star to go to TX when PTT is pushed. I have 3 options for internet and it makes no difference which one I use. The delay is different with different talk groups. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
KE0FHS

Re: Delay in going to transmit

Post by KE0FHS »

3 seconds seems a bit long, but 1 - 2 seconds of delay with digital radio is pretty normal.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
WB4SJN

Post by WB4SJN »

Thanks for the reply. I did a little more observing and found that it appears that the problem is with pi-star. I was in QSO this morning and I noticed that when I keyed the radio it opened the the hotspot but there was no indication of transmission on the dashboard but the other station said I was loud and clear. Also, during a return by the other station there was no indication of him transmitting and he was loud and clear. Also, just a few minutes ago I was listening to TG 31656 and there was no call sign showing and the transmission was so garbled it was not readable. I have notified my digital elmer because I am a pi-star rookie.
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

Open the Live Logs view in another browser tab and take a look at what gets logged when this is happening; that might provide a hint of what the issue is. There's a link at the bottom of Live Logs view to download it as a text file.

There also are more specific logs you can check in the /var/log/pi-star directory, for example, specific logs for ircDDBGateway, MMDVM, etc.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
KN6CXC

Post by KN6CXC »

Have the same issue! Using GD-77 on DMR. My delay is even longer, sometimes 5-7 seconds.
Running pi-star 4.1.0 RC3 on a pi3 B+

Let us know what you may find about this issue with your digital Elmer