Is using a custom version of MMDVMHost possible?

General support for the Pi-Star System
VK3KYY

Is using a custom version of MMDVMHost possible?

Post by VK3KYY »

I need to run a custom version of MMDVMHost to communicate with a non MMDVM hotspot (its actually going to be a GD-77 running special firmware), but I think if I replace the copy of MMDVMHost that is in PiStar that the update process will no longer work.

Can someone confirm if there is a way I could do this, without breaking the updates ?
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Re: Is using a custom version of MMDVMHost possible?

Post by MW0MWZ »

The update process has been modified, that means that it will no longer break, but it will over-write your change if I release a newer MMDVMHost.
You CAN run a custom one, you just need to do a few things to protect your sanity...

You will need to make your own unit file at /etc/systemd/system so that YOUR unit file is called instead of the default one, that will then reference your MMDVMHost - so you can put that somewhere like /opt/ rather than the stock location.

If you have code to give back to the MMDVMHost project to expand the list of supported devices, submit the patch, I am sure there will be more people interested, and then we'll pull int into Pi-Star too.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
VK3KYY

Re: Is using a custom version of MMDVMHost possible?

Post by VK3KYY »

Andy

Thats great news... Thanks