Change / Update APRS Server List

General support for the Pi-Star System
DL1NUX

Change / Update APRS Server List

Post by DL1NUX »

Hi. Our repeater is not connected directly to the internet, but to the european Hamnet. Therefore I want to use an APRS Server which is in the Hamnet. But I didn't saw any possibility to edit the APRS Server List. Of cource I can change the setting by hand in the several configuration sites or files. But after an update these settings are always gone and replaced by the standard setting "rotate.aprs2.net".
Where can the list be updated so that my setting will stay also after an update.

Attila DL1NUX
w7efs

Re: Change / Update APRS Server List

Post by w7efs »

Of course the best solution would be to have the Hamnet APRS server admin contact Pete at http://aprs-is.net/APRSServers.aspx and have the correct entry made for the server(s) you need, so that they get included in the daily Pi-Star updates. The only problem with that is the Pi-Star APRSHosts.txt file hasn't been updated for almost 2 years:

Code: Select all

$ less /usr/local/etc/APRSHosts.txt
; APRS_Hosts.txt downloaded from http://www.mw0mwz.co.uk/pi-star/APRS_Hosts.txt
; File created at Friday 8th of Sep 2017 06:08 AM
rotate.aprs2.net:14580;User Definable Filter Port: Rotate Auto
The pull-down list on the "Configuration" page is php-generated from /usr/local/etc/APRSHosts.txt which gets updated daily, overwriting any edit you make there, so that your Hamnet entry would no longer be viable information as you already know.

Since updates to the aprs server list aren't a major concern for you, then I'll suggest that you edit /usr/local/etc/APRSHosts.txt and add your European Hamnet entry above "rotate.aprs2.net:..." where IP address works as well as dns name, and afterwards change the file attribute to "immutable" as root:

Code: Select all

chattr +i /usr/local/etc/APRSHosts.txt
If this causes any problems or you later need further edits, then you can easily "chattr -i ...". Your APRS settings in configuration files /etc/{ircddbgateway,nxdngateway,ysf2dmr,ysf2nxdn,ysfgateway} will persist and be backed up.