Pi-star and rpi 3+ problem

General support for the Pi-Star System
W2TLJ

Pi-star and rpi 3+ problem

Post by W2TLJ »

Loading the current pi-star image to the rpi 3+ the rpi 3+ will not run. Simple flashing red light. The same image runs normally in the rpi 2+. Then loaded the latest beta version of pi-star and the rpi 3+ runs normally.
Versions are pi-star_rpi_v3.4 Jan 2019 and beta pi-star_rpi_v4.10 8 Jul 2019
KE0FHS

Re: Pi-star and rpi 3+ problem

Post by KE0FHS »

The RPi 3B+, 3A+, and 4B all require the latest Pi-Star beta image and will not run on Pi-Star 3.4.x.
Last edited by KE0FHS on Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
w7efs

Post by w7efs »

W2TLJ wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:06 pm ... Then loaded the latest beta version of pi-star and the rpi 3+ runs normally. ...
What is the problem you are having with that?
dh3ybe

Post by dh3ybe »

flashing red led light without green means somehow "waiting for signal to boot".
With the new booting meethod of raspberry pi 3B+ you need a newer raspberry pi version. Pi-Star 4 has this new method included, the older Pi-Star 3 not. But I am not a Pi Guru. This is like myself understood that.

BR
Kai
dh3ybe
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

dh3ybe wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:54 am flashing red led light without green means somehow "waiting for signal to boot".
With the new booting meethod of raspberry pi 3B+ you need a newer raspberry pi version. Pi-Star 4 has this new method included, the older Pi-Star 3 not. But I am not a Pi Guru. This is like myself understood that.
" newer raspberry pi version." is very ambiguous... After all the 3B+ and the 4B ARE "newer raspberry pi" HARDWARE versions.

Pi-Star v3.x is based upon Raspbian/Debian Jessie [Debian v8].

The 3B+ bootloader requires new device trees and support, which weren't added until Raspbian/Debian Stretch [Debian v9] as I recall.
The 4B hardware requires even deeper changes in the booting logic, which was only added to Raspbian/Debian Buster [Debian v10]

Pi-Star v4.1.x BETA and Release Candidates are based upon Raspbian/Debian Buster, in order to support the 4B and bring Pi-Star up to the current release OS, skipping Debian Stretch. (Again, from memory, Pi-Star 4.0.x beta was based upon Debian Stretch for the 3B+, but with the announcement of the model 4B and Debian Buster, development was shifted completely). A 3B+, to my knowledge, can be run using Pi-Star 4.0.x beta.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
dh3ybe

Post by dh3ybe »

thanks for the detailed description

73s
Kai
dh3ybe