Dynamic location??

General support for the Pi-Star System
G8OGJ

Dynamic location??

Post by G8OGJ »

Has anyone thought of generating a dynamic location for a hot-spot? I have (and they are increasingly inexpensive) a USB GPS receiver that outputs NMEA GPS sentences with locations at a sufficient rate to be able to keep up with walking, running, cycling, rowing etc.

When I use my hot-spot it sends out the home location, which is often wrong (because I am not there) and that might at the least be misleading and at the worst be a breach of licence conditions (if my handset GPS is off, which it often is because I use an Icom radio with GPS in the speaker-mic).

Any thoughts?

The NMEA sentences are common knowledge and any navigation program can decode them. I also have a Bluetooth GPS receiver with a similar output which would also do (and as it is solar powered etc would be convenient as it would avoid the need for additional USB power load on the pi zero...

Ian
Amateur Radio Station G8OGJ
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: Dynamic location??

Post by M1DNS »

There is a version of the MMDVM software written to make use of USB GPS devices just as you asked. At this time though the "current" versions of pi-star don't use that particular release of MMDVM.

Andrew M1DNS, (Mod)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
G8OGJ

Post by G8OGJ »

Andrew,

Thanks for the update. I fancy putting my hotspot on my boat or in my car - link is over 3G/4G and works generally inshore or on motorways (as appropriate). I look forward to this feature arriving in a production release in due course.

Cheers,

Ian
Amateur Radio Station G8OGJ
VK7HSE

Post by VK7HSE »

M1DNS wrote:There is a version of the MMDVM software written to make use of USB GPS devices just as you asked. At this time though the "current" versions of pi-star don't use that particular release of MMDVM.

Andrew M1DNS, (Mod)
There's an option in pi-star (4.1) for using a GPS to set the station position!

Mind you I've never actually tried it Image

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

VK7HSE wrote:
M1DNS wrote:There is a version of the MMDVM software written to make use of USB GPS devices just as you asked. At this time though the "current" versions of pi-star don't use that particular release of MMDVM.

Andrew M1DNS, (Mod)
There's an option in pi-star (4.1) for using a GPS to set the station position!

Mind you I've never actually tried it Image

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Ok. I know Andy was going to try to make use of this newer release / feature. I hadn't realised he's already done it. Image

Andrew M1DNS, (Mod)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.