Running 2 PI-Stars at home

General support for the Pi-Star System
G4AQV

Running 2 PI-Stars at home

Post by G4AQV »

Has anybody run 2 pi-star systems via Raspberry PIs at home please?

I know they obviously have to be on seperate frequencies but i would like to set them to static IP addresses so i know which one i am one.

I have looked at the Dashboard but i cant set the IPs from there, I am going to be using Ethernet connections, so could someone let me know how to set them as static and not DHCP please?

Thanks

Karl G4AQV
G8SEZ

Re: Running 2 PI-Stars at home

Post by G8SEZ »

G4AQV wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:20 pm Has anybody run 2 pi-star systems via Raspberry PIs at home please?

I know they obviously have to be on seperate frequencies but i would like to set them to static IP addresses so i know which one i am one.

I have looked at the Dashboard but i cant set the IPs from there, I am going to be using Ethernet connections, so could someone let me know how to set them as static and not DHCP please?
Which Pi hardware are you using Karl?

I have Pi Zero Ws here with Jumbospot RF HATs, I force these to particular IP addresses using the DHCP server on my Fedora Linux machine, but if you have a router that supports it you can use various means of forcing IP address using the MAC address of the ethernet port on the Pi.

A little more information should help us to help you further.
--

Brian G8SEZ
W1KMC

Post by W1KMC »

Easiest way is to just change the hostname of the Pi-Star (hostname on configuration page [defaults is pi-star])

I have two hotspots, (deskstar and mobilestar) -- Deskstar sits on my desk and Mobilestar is in my car, but for updating and such, I bring it inside.

Here in USA our repeater offsets are 5MHZ apart in UHF so my Deskstar is 445.9875 and my mobilestar is it paired equivalent at 440.9875

On your browser you can use deskstar/ or mobilestar/ to show the correct dashboard and I color mine Deskstar is purple and mobilestar is blue

For assigning permanent IP though - that would be better accomplished in your router for one good reason: If you take the static IP'd Pi-Star to demo to a friend or club and their wifi IP range is different (some routhers use 192.168.1.X others 192.168.0.X and others still 10.0.0.X) your stic IP would not work and if the IP is in use on the their router you cause an IP conflict.

So in your router, look for a list of attached devices and find your Pi-Star (this is also where changing the hostname will be beneficial as you don't need to remember the IP of each device, just its name. Once you've found the Pi-Star copy its MAC Address and find the section for reserved IP Addresses and set one up. My Nighthawk router has a reserved IP section where if you click Add, the list of attached devices shows up and is selectable and you just add the last number to the list and click apply.

Every router is different so you need to look around in yours to find these sections.

Also, I forgot - in configuration on the Pi-Star, after you change the hostname and click apply changes, REBBOT the Pi so the router can see its new name, making it easier for you to find.

Good Luck - I would offer to teamviewer in but I see by your call you are not in USA, and my PBX (I built myself, sort of) rejects international calls.
I am no developer, guru, expert, nor do I claim to be or want to be. All advice I give is purely from experience and my efforts to help others.

W1KMC - Kevin M Carman
Bangor, ME
Jumbospot on a Pi0W
DMR 3123142 & 3123143
HHUS Trunk Ext 4329
G4AQV

Post by G4AQV »

Kevin

That sounds like a better idea, easily found then.

I am running both 3 Bs with DV-Megas.

So the question is what is the best way to change the Host name then please? :)
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

G4AQV wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:24 pm Kevin

That sounds like a better idea, easily found then.

I am running both 3 Bs with DV-Megas.

So the question is what is the best way to change the Host name then please? :)
As stated -- the hostname is a field on the config page (not even expert mode yet). It's the first item in "General Configuration" right above your callsign.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
G4AQV

Post by G4AQV »

Thanks for all your help Gentlemen, i now have them both working and in full control.

Regards

Karl G4AQV
G4AON

Post by G4AON »

You can also change the colours too. Mine on 70cms DMR has a green background to the web page, one occasionally used with a 2m DVAP dongle is blue...

73 Dave
ID51E plus 2
ID5100E
IC9700
AnyTone AT-D878UV
Chinese MMDVM with OLED on a Pi 3B
DVAP on a Pi 3B