Screensaver

General support for the Pi-Star System
KE7FNS

Re: Screensaver

Post by KE7FNS » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:09 pm

KE5RAD wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:17 pm
Thanks Tony and Jason, I got xscreensaver installed; however when trying to run xscreensaver-demo I get an error saying "Gtk Warning; cannot open display."
Running xscreensaver itself results in the error "warning: $DISPLAY is not set: defaulting to :"0.0"
and then "Can't open display: :0.0"
Yeah, I saw that one coming a mile away, there is no xserver installed like I mentioned in the beginning. The instructions he gave are largely incomplete. The Oracle can't bake cookies for Neo when she doesn't have an oven in her apartment.
KE5RAD wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:17 pm
I did find some of the ASCII terminal based screensavers and got them running; however, I am not able to change time on or stop the screen blanker, so Matrix will run but in about 10 minutes the screen goes blank.
open ssh and try this.

Code: Select all

rpi-rw
sudo nano /boot/cmdline.txt
add "consoleblank=0" to the parameters between "console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2" (although the ordering shouldn't matter, its just neat and tidy to put it next to the other console parameter)

so it looks like this

console=tty1 consoleblank=0 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2
I'm pretty sure from the discussion so far, you are familiar enough with linux to know how to use nano, but if not ctrl+x then y then enter.

then

rpi-ro
sudo reboot
That should stop the terminal blanker from kicking in after 10 mins.
All views, comments, posts and opinions shared are entirely my own.

w7efs

Post by w7efs » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:55 am

KE7FNS wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:26 am
How does that work with without xserver-xorg installed?
Sorry if I missed that detail. The folk I know who have installed a 7 inch screen have done so in order to have access to the dashboard/configuration/admin pages while mobile, so that they could enable/disable YSF/DMR/NXDN/P25/DStar as needed; I made the assumption that the OP had already done so.

Your fictional "Neo" character can spend about U$100 for an apartment-sized microwave oven and learn how to bake his/her own cookies, but the Linux software to enable a lightweight browser and X display manager is always free, e.g. (among many others):

time apt install dillo lightdm -y
On a Pi B Plus
real 9m19.622s
user 1m51.656s
sys 1m27.182s

Followed by:

systemctl enable lightdm
systemctl start lightdm

KE7FNS

Post by KE7FNS » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:41 am

w7efs wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:55 am
Your fictional "Neo" character can spend about U$100 for an apartment-sized microwave oven and learn how to bake his/her own cookies, but the Linux software to enable a lightweight browser and X display manager is always free, e.g. (among many others):
Who makes cookies with a microwave oven. gross.
AF6VN wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:46 pm
And recognizable by anyone who has watched "The Matrix"... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matrix_digital_rain
I guess we found one person that hasn't seen the movie. :lol:
All views, comments, posts and opinions shared are entirely my own.