pi-star internet connection

General support for the Pi-Star System
WB4SJN

pi-star internet connection

Post by WB4SJN »

When I start my hotspot and the pi-star internet connection comes up and I click on it and it does not connect to the internet.Am I doing something wrong? My hotspot will not connect because I am afraid that when I tried to enter a new network connection I did not wait long enough for the changes to take place. I have been using this hot spot for over a year now so I know it works.
WB4SJN

Re: pi-star internet connection

Post by WB4SJN »

I am sorry I missed your other response as I just stated. It has been a heck of a week. The primary question I had was why, when I have very good internet connections, will the AP not connect to my internet connection. I hate to sound like the rookie that I am but facts are facts. I am quite new to hotspots and pi-star so I hope you will forgive me.
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

WB4SJN wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:44 pm I am sorry I missed your other response as I just stated. It has been a heck of a week. The primary question I had was why, when I have very good internet connections, will the AP not connect to my internet connection. I hate to sound like the rookie that I am but facts are facts. I am quite new to hotspots and pi-star so I hope you will forgive me.
A bit of terminology: One connects TO an access point (AP). The Pi-Star AutoAP mode turns the unit into an access point to allow one to connect and configure it -- if it does not manage to connect to a real access point first. The AutoAP mode uses <hostname>-setup (or some variation thereof) as the SSID.

The real access point should be your internet router. The Pi-Star node when configured will connect to that router, and then be accessible as either just <hostname> or as <hostname>.local in a web browser.

If it isn't reverting to the AutoAP mode, then the unit IS connecting to /something/ (hopefully your router and not some neighbor <G>).

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
WB4SJN

Post by WB4SJN »

Thanks for the reply. I connected my wifi router to my iMac and rebooted the hotspot. I clicked on the pi-star wifi and it connected. Then a box popped up and asked for a password, I entered (raspberry) and it said that was not correct. So I am at an impassion. Any help?
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

WB4SJN wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:23 pm Thanks for the reply. I connected my wifi router to my iMac and rebooted the hotspot. I clicked on the pi-star wifi and it connected. Then a box popped up and asked for a password, I entered (raspberry) and it said that was not correct. So I am at an impassion. Any help?
I've run into this occasionally. Usually if I enter the password another time, it will work.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
AF4FA

Post by AF4FA »

WB4SJN wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:23 pm Thanks for the reply. I connected my wifi router to my iMac and rebooted the hotspot. I clicked on the pi-star wifi and it connected. Then a box popped up and asked for a password, I entered (raspberry) and it said that was not correct. So I am at an impassion. Any help?
It may have been asking for the password for your wifi access to your router.
WB4SJN

Post by WB4SJN »

I want to thank all who commented. I found the reason I was not connecting. It was because I have two connection to WiFi 2.4 Ghz and 5Ghz. And my hotspot will not work on 5Ghz. Once I ghanged to 2.4Ghz all was well and I am back on the air.