SD card says write protected in W10

General support for the Pi-Star System
KC3MLA

SD card says write protected in W10

Post by KC3MLA »

Decided it was time to re-burn my SD card to 4.1 Card has been running 3.4.17 24x7 for about a year. Did power-off shut down from pi-star dash.

Both SD Card Formatter and W10 formatter refuse to format, each complaining that the card is write protected.

Initially tried SD in adapter (lock off) in SD slot in laptop. Also tried USB card reader with micro SD slot. Same results.

Booted pi-star back up, went in with SSH from dashboard, did rpi-rw, then created a file in / and one in /boot. No problems.

Google suggested a couple things to try, none of which helped.

Thoughts?
Mark
KE0FHS

Re: SD card says write protected in W10

Post by KE0FHS »

Time for a new microSD card, and keep the current one as a back up.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
KC3MLA

Post by KC3MLA »

Etcher won't let me select it since it, too, thinks it's locked.

I already tried the diskpart procedure (one of the things my google search turned up) but that didn't help.

Something in the card must have really gotten smoked...
Mark
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

A quick check of the write protect switch on the SD adapter would be sensible, cycle it a couple of times, or try a different adapter.
--

Brian G8SEZ
KC3MLA

Post by KC3MLA »

G8SEZ wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:18 pm A quick check of the write protect switch on the SD adapter would be sensible, cycle it a couple of times, or try a different adapter.
Tried it in an adapter, and with a usb drive that accepts micro SD directly. Same result. New card is booting in the hotspot as we speak. Time will tell.
Mark
N6WBL

Post by N6WBL »

Windows 10 is not great with SD cards unless you get into the command line. A better choice is using a Linux machine.

BTW, I found a neat utility for checking SD cards called F3 available from Linux repos. You can use f3probe to test a card (limited test). You can also combine f3write and f3read to do a much more detailed test of the drive though this is taking a tiny bit of life out of the drive also known as destructive as they have a finite number of writes before failure. A card I had trouble with in a Pi-Star application failed f3probe, and recently my front window RPI-Camera 32 GB micro SD card passed after being corrupted by a series of power outages which I put back in service. You could install and run this from your Pi-Star machine if you don't have a Linux machine.

Detailed write up of f3 use:
https://fight-flash-fraud.readthedocs.i ... usage.html