cannot find pistar on network

General support for the Pi-Star System
pa1hun

cannot find pistar on network

Post by pa1hun »

Hello,
I have reproduced this issue with both version 3.4 and 4.0 release candidate. The problem is the same in both cases. I have also done an update to pull in all the latest software and pi-star binaries and that has not solved the issue.

I have flashed a new uSD card with pi-star and booted the pizero with onboard wifi. The pi-star booted up as expected and fell back to AP mode and I could connect via the browser. I then setup wifi via the configuration page in my browser and when I rebooted the bootup messages show the pi-star connects to by router and gets a DHCP lease (confirmed in the router DHCP lease page). The IP address appears on the Raspberry PI local console (plugged in via HDMI to my TV).
The problem is that I cannot connect to this IP address. Ping says the host is down and the browser also does not connect.

I have also created a wifi supplicant file using the website and dropped the file in the /boot partition. In this case the pi-star is not reachable at all but it does connect to the router as expected and obtains a DHCP lease.

From the local console I can login to pistar and I can ping google.com which demonstrates I have outbound DNS resolution and an out and back route as the ICMP packets return ok and none our dropped.
I can also download HTML from google.com using curl. So I have demonstrated outbound network connectivity and IP, and ICMP and TCP levels.

I have run 'netstat -ntap' and can see that nginx is listening ok. So there is a webserver that can be connected to.

The problem is that pistar does not seem to be accepting inbound traffic once it has connected to my local wifi network.
I cannot ping the device (attempted from 3 other devices on my LAN).
I cannot SSH into the device.
I cannot reach the webserver.

I have put the same uSD in another old raspberry pi model B with an Ethernet interface and this appears on the network and I can reach it. So if there is a firewall blocking all inbound connections (including ICMP ping) then it is only on wlan0 and not on eth0.
How can I make my pistar 'reachable'? Is the issue related to the firewall or is there something in the wpa_supplicant that is incorrect? As I said, the hotspot does obtain a DHCP lease from my router.

I have two other hotspots and they can be reached without problem but they both have physical network connections via eth0.
I have posted it hear rather than in the IP or wifi sections as the hotspot does connect to my wifi router and it does get an ip address. I suspect the problem is higher up in the OSI stack.

Regards,
Rob/PA1HUN
pa1hun

Re: cannot find pistar on network

Post by pa1hun »

Update, the issue seems to be with by Wifi Network. I set up a second wifi network and the device can be reached as normally expected.