Forgot user name and password

General support for the Pi-Star System
WX5CSS

Forgot user name and password

Post by WX5CSS »

I have forgot my user name and password, what are my options? Maybe a back-up and factory reset?
Bryan :(
WX5CSS 8-)
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: Forgot user name and password

Post by M1DNS »

There are ways. You can remove the card and search through it when mounted into a card reader using another pc. But the easiest action...

Burn the image to the card agn. and start over.

Andrew M1DNS, (Mod)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
kc7ngc

Post by kc7ngc »

KE7FNS wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:45 pm Theres tons of info out there on the web.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... hp?t=20397
The method detailed in that thread doesn't work anymore. Grub and boot process has changed so keyboard doesn't work anymore with this method. So when you boot with init=/bin/sh in the cmdline.txt file on any of the modern kernels you end up with a prompt but no keyboard as the kernel HID modules haven't loaded yet. Only works on old kernels/grub versions. It might still work on the the older pi-star 3 images if someone hasn't updated them to latest kernel updates but it doesn't work on any of the new 4.1 images which have the newer kernel by default.

The systemd.unit=emergency.target also doesn't work on the new version of either as the root account is locked by default in the image and emergency.target requires root account to be unlocked.

So the easier methods of password recovery no longer work. That means for account password recovery need to be able to put the card in a system running linux (installed or booted from a CD or USB Stick). Then can mount the volume to edit the passwd and shadow files to reset the password.
WX5CSS

Post by WX5CSS »

Thanks for all the responses guys, guess I should have been a little precise with my issue. I have forgot user name and password on my Nano-Spot. I am not working on a Raspberry. So, no SD card. Sorry for the trouble's and confusion.
Bryan
WX5CSS 8-)
WX5CSS

Post by WX5CSS »

Thanks for the contact information. Appreciate you all responding.
WX5CSS 8-)
KC2IGS

Post by KC2IGS »

Greetings to all!
This is a slightly dated thread but I find myself in same predicament. I tried to contact Mark K7IZA through QRZ but got no response.

I am a happy owner of a Nano-Spot. I have been using it mainly in the mobile.
Due to remote working and change of cars, I stopped doing DMR in mobile for a while.
Now that I'm back to commuting to work, I have resurrected it recently and its working great!

My problem is, I can not remember the password. Does anyone have any info on how can I reset this unit to factory default so to speak so I change my password?
I do have a backup from Dec-2019 that I can restore if needed.
Thank you for your time.

73's!
Arthur
KC2IGS
KC2IGS

Post by KC2IGS »

Thank you for getting back to me Jason,

That is correct, nano-spot doesn't have an SD card, so the methods Ive used to reset my Home and Office Raspberry-Pi based hotspots will not work.
:roll: