How to change from port 80 for remote Dashboard access

General support for the Pi-Star System
AK7AN

How to change from port 80 for remote Dashboard access

Post by AK7AN »

Ok, I have an Apache2 server up and running on my LAN that is running Xlxd. I also have a pi running pi-star on the same LAN.. Both the Apache2 and the Pi-Star listen on port 80. How do I either tell the Pi-star to listen on another port, or create a redirect from my apache2 so I can access my Pi-Star dashboard outside of my LAN. I have a public static IP address.. Currently I can just enter http:// XX.XX.XXX.XX/xlxd and I have acesss to my XLX reflector dashboard. I would like to be able to enter http://XX.XX.XXX.XX/pistar and acesss my pistar dashboard.. and yes I have my dashboard set to public in the configuration?
Thanks
Ed
AK7AN
Merry Christmas
AF6VN

Re: How to change from port 80 for remote Dashboard access

Post by AF6VN »

Off-hand, edit the nginx configuration file -- change the "listen" port to something else, then configure your router to pass that port to the Pi-Star node.

Code: Select all

pi-star@pi-star-3b(ro):~$ cat /etc/nginx/sites-available/pi-star
server {
        listen 80 default_server;
        root /var/www/dashboard;

location ^~ /admin {
                try_files $uri $uri/ =404;
                auth_basic "Restricted";
                auth_basic_user_file /var/www/.htpasswd;
                client_max_body_size 512K;

# Load the defaults
        include             /etc/nginx/default.d/php.conf;
        }

location ~ /\.git {
                deny all;
        }

# Load the defaults
        include             /etc/nginx/default.d/*.conf;
}
Of course, you may have to redo that edit if any periodic update replaces the file.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

If you decide to change the port pistar uses, use 8080 it's already opened in the firewall. Otherwise you'll need to edit the iptables for whatever port you choose to pass through the firewall.

ie listen 8080 default_server;

Sent using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
AK7AN

Post by AK7AN »

I changed to port 8080 in my pi-star, port forwarded port 8080 in my router to my pi star's LAN ip.. Now I can't access my pi-star form my LAN or WAN. It is also not linking to any reflectors.. is there any way to reset my pi-star so I can at least access my configuration..
Thanks
Ed
AK7AN
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

Use the Pi's IP Address:8080 you have changed the default :80 which the browser would normally use. You need to manually add the required port in the url.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
AK7AN

Post by AK7AN »

Yes, that is what I was using http://XX.XX.XXX.XX:8080, and was still unable to access. I wound up just reimaging my boot disc and staring all over.

In the configuration does the URL need to be set to my public static IP? currently it is set to lookup my call sign on QRZ.

Thanks again
ED
AK7AN
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

AK7AN wrote:
In the configuration does the URL need to be set to my public static IP? currently it is set to lookup my call sign on QRZ.

Thanks again
ED
AK7AN
No. That field is just for an alternative for where you'd want anyone interested in your lookup to be forwarded.
e.g.. mine points to my own personal ham radio website. The default is to point it to yourcallsign.qrz.com as most ops have a qrz page, over their own website.

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
W9DWH

Post by W9DWH »

M1DNS wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:41 pm If you decide to change the port pistar uses, use 8080 it's already opened in the firewall. Otherwise you'll need to edit the iptables for whatever port you choose to pass through the firewall.

ie listen 8080 default_server;
Has something changed since this was posted? I can't access the dashboard using xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080 on my local network muchless outside of it. I have 8080 open on my router. I already have another device that uses port 80 so that's why I need to use 8080.
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

We dont advise you open your dashboard to the wild.

But if your on ur home network you can use the internal ip add. that the router applies to ur install.

If your outside ur network, best option is creating a VPN or if its just the dashboard. embed aspects of it into a landing page. Pistar has code written in to make that poss.

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.