Numeric callsigns - further clarification

General support for the Pi-Star System
KN2TOD

Numeric callsigns - further clarification

Post by KN2TOD »

I'm familiar with the occasional 7-digit callsigns showing up because of the lag in updating various files/databases with callsign/DMR id's, but there are other numerics showing up that don't fit that scenario. Specifically, I'm either seeing the TG number or a "1" for the call sign. I got the impression from on-air conversations that some of these numeric values are being propagated by various gateways, for instance, a Fusion network was forwarding the TG number instead of the callsign, but what about the "1"? (For context, I'm running a DMR-only hotspot here). Can anyone give me an overview/explanation of the various values that can show up here, outside of the usual DMR id's?
Attachments
Pi-Star GW Activity 1.png
Pi-Star GW Activity 1.png (11.18 KiB) Viewed 1503 times
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Re: Numeric callsigns - further clarification

Post by MW0MWZ »

In short, the numbers can come from a few places, if a number shows up coming from a DMR network, that is always because the local database was unable to match it to a callsign / name.

So why are there numbers that dont make sense - most usually it will be a gateway / bridge somewhere and the bridge/gateway was un-able to match whatever came in to a DMR number.

This can happen with modes like Yaesu Fusion where users can put arbitrary stuff in the "callsign" field.

Hope that helps shed some light on it.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
KN2TOD

Re: Numeric callsigns - further clarification

Post by KN2TOD »

Thanks, Andy! Confirms my suspicions. Too bad we can't get everyone to play by some common, consistent rules here where all ids are transparent throughout.