Is "Talker Alias" adequate for legal ID in the USA

General support for the Pi-Star System
kd2lh

Is "Talker Alias" adequate for legal ID in the USA

Post by kd2lh »

Does anyone know if the "Talker Alias" data embedded by VOIP infrastructures like Brandmeister during an incoming group ID call could also considered a valid and legal ID in the USA?

Each incoming transmission by the VOIP infrastructure contains the call of the incoming caller as configured in Brandmeister's SelfCare "APRS ID" field.

If this is true, PiStar could embed talker alias with a local hotspot call sign added ( as in "Via KX1ABC" etc...) into all outgoing transmissions every 10 minutes during HotSpot operation.
WB3IHY

Re: Is "Talker Alias" adequate for legal ID in the USA

Post by WB3IHY »

As far as I can find, not according to FCC Part 97 as currently interpreted. Sorry.
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

Is there any legal requirement for any digital install to periodically Id?

I understand ur reference is to DMR but
None of the yeasu fusion or icom dstar repeaters have any periodic Id capability and those were modes /hardware designed specifically for ham use, so I sure if the decision was made that they should be doing so, they would be.

Afaia digital assetts are exempt from id'ing in such a way as there's embedded data in the data header. Which is displayed in the receiving radio. US law may be different but, Theres no requirement for a traditional FM/ CW timed identifier announcement under UK regs.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

D-Star embeds the call-sign within transmissions, and the FCC accepts that embedded call for ID. Since it is embedded within each transmission, the 10-minute ID interval doesn't really apply (If no transmissions in 10 minutes, no need to ID; if a transmission occurs, it counts as the ID).

DMR IDs, however, are not issued by any government, and hence not traceable to a user. The FCC does not count those as ID for legal purposes.

Most hotspots are so low-powered they might fall under Part-15 rules (which is where things like RF-based TV remotes, wireless home phones, key-fobs, kiddie walkie-talkies and pure FRS hand-helds, and most home WiFi gear falls). Part-15 doesn't require periodic ID, it must not cause interference to other services, and must accept interference from other services. The only thing that may keep them from Part-15 is that they may not have passed type-acceptance for use in that category.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

I cant really reply on US regs But the radio shows a callsign, the hotspots dashboard shows a call sign.

I realise this is done by the DMR.id host file but the end result can be seen on a radio. Just like an fm Id or cw Id needs to be heard on a radio. Is there really a difference whether the id is seen or heard? In both cases it's via the end users radio.

I'm sure if there was an unjust reasoning why DMR (NXDN or P25) didn't satisfy the regulators here in the UK, they wouldn't be issuing licenses to install and operate the installations that use those modes.

We need apply for an Addition to ur license over here in order to run anything other than a 100mw personal hotspot.

Repeater / wide area simplex hotspot installs need to follow an application process stating equipment used, requested freqs., gain of antenna, feeder losses, location as defined by national ordnance grid locations, and a host of other requirements met before giving the go ahead and issuing its licence as permissions of use. it's quite an anal process so I can't think they'd let something like identification pass if it didnt fit their requirements somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
KD8DVR

Post by KD8DVR »

What causes you to see a call on your radio is your built in database. It associates a dmr I'd to a call. That isn't a.legit id.

Now talker alias is inserting a call. Not sure if that counts or not. Id verbally just to be sure.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All messages posted are personal opinion only and may not constitute fact.