Mobile Hot Spot requires power cycling for practical use

General support for the Pi-Star System
AE5E

Re: Mobile Hot Spot requires power cycling for practical use

Post by AE5E » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:17 pm

After commanding a "Shutdown" via my handheld DMR radio, and leaving the car, taking my cellphone with me, 12 hours later without the mobile hotspot being in range of any WiFi's the hotspot was still scrolling "-close", as I had hoped. I enabled my cellphone WiFi hotspot, then power cycled the mobile hotspot. It connected to my cellphone in 30 seconds and after one additional minute it was fully functional for DMR use.

For now I am going to assume that power cycling while in "-close-" mode will eliminate the problem of microSD card corruption previously experienced while power without first having completed a "Shutdown". I hope that is correct!

It would be nice if there were a simpler solution to what I regard as a very typical use of the mobile hotspot, perhaps just allow the mobile hotspot to run and still remain usable 12 hours later, but for now I am satisfied with this solution.
Ron, AE5E

KE7FNS

Post by KE7FNS » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:04 pm

If you went the pimoroni button route I mentioned earlier, when you tap the power button it not only shuts down the RPi properly to prevent SD card corruptions, it also cuts the power so the OLED screen wouldn't be running for hours. Leaving it powered on scrolling like that is eventually going to burn out that section of your screen, you should at least remove the power once you've shut it down.
All views, comments, posts and opinions shared are entirely my own.

:lol: , if someones previous actions are any indication of their future actions, then I predict the deletion and removal of access will happen at any moment. 7-11-2020.

AE5E

Post by AE5E » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:47 pm

I understand, however I can simply power down after '-close-' is displayed, then it will not be powered overnight. That is likely the approach I will take.
Ron, AE5E