How to preserve settings when upgrading?

General support for the Pi-Star System
W8DU

How to preserve settings when upgrading?

Post by W8DU »

I am currently running Pi-star v3.4.17 on a RPi ZeroW with no problems. I see that it is recommended to upgrade to Buster and then the new Pi-Star 4.1.0. Can someone let me know how to preserve my settings when doing such an upgrade of Raspian as well as Pi-Star?
Tnx es 73 de Arnie W8DU
G8SEZ

Re: How to preserve settings when upgrading?

Post by G8SEZ »

Select Configuration->Backup/Restore and click the Backup button, save the backup zip file once downloaded.

Create a new SD card using the 4.1.0 image file, then place the wpa_supplicant.conf file you used before (or create a new one using the tool on the pistar web site) in the root of the boot partition.

Put the new SD card in the Pi Zero W and restart it, once it has booted up, expanded the filesystem and connected to your WiFi then use Configuration->Backup/Restore again and click the Restore button and select the backup zip file you downloaded and let it restore. Restart the Pi Zero W and you should be good to go.

Worth checking that the backup has all the usual stuff correctly set. You would be best to run a sudo pistar-update then sudo pistar-upgrade cycle to get the very latest changes since Andy created the v4.1.0 image. I would also recommend that you ssh in and perform the update/upgrade as this will ensure that any Raspbian updates are applied as well.

HTH
--

Brian G8SEZ
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

Whilst your copying the wpa config file over, drop the backup file onto the boot folder as well. The new install will start up and automagically import the saved setup.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

M1DNS wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:00 pm Whilst your copying the wpa config file over, drop the backup file onto the boot folder as well. The new install will start up and automagically import the saved setup.
Didn't know that, one for future use!
--

Brian G8SEZ
W8DU

Post by W8DU »

Thanks for the tips. I did see a Youtube, I think it was, that said to place the backup.zip onto the newly imaged sd card and this did work. However, now I am noticing that the display is dark unless a signal is detected. Before, I would get a constantly scrolling MMDVM across the screen and this reassured me that the device was still working. Is there a way to re-activate that feature? I suppose having the screen dark does save some energy, but seriously, how much is really saved, especially if running off the mains and not a battery?
Tnx de Arnie W8DU
W8DU

Post by W8DU »

I answered my own question. I found a setting in configuration/expert/OLED to turn on the screensaver. You have to scroll down quite a way since it is near the bottom of that page.
73 de Arnie W8DU
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

viewforum.php?f=45

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

W8DU wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:12 pm I answered my own question. I found a setting in configuration/expert/OLED to turn on the screensaver. You have to scroll down quite a way since it is near the bottom of that page.
73 de Arnie W8DU
This one caught me out too, it took me a while to get it working because for some reason the updated expert configuration page for MMDVMhost didn't show all the entry fields until after a couple of reboots. As luck would have it this happened on the first of my 3 RPi Zero Ws that I ran a regular pistar-update on, the other 2 updated normally and immediately showed the new fields but by then I had been poking at the awkward one for some time.
--

Brian G8SEZ