Sequential Callsign

General support for the Pi-Star System
nh6bf

Sequential Callsign

Post by nh6bf »

Currently, Pi-Star lists callsigns in the "Callsign" field. If a person is on the TG 10 minutes ago, it is there. However, if that person makes another tx the older time is dropped and the new time replaced. Of course it goes to the top of the list, too. Can this be changed to sequential, i.e. if a guy transmits at 11:00am and then at 11: 30, both will appear. It's a small talk group, so don't expect much filling up... and would have searched, but really don't know what it may be called...
nh6bf

Re: Sequential Callsign

Post by nh6bf »

Thanks
KN2TOD

Post by KN2TOD »

Not sure about the reasoning here. Obviously, what gets displayed in the Gateway Activity pane has some upper limit (40-50 lines perhaps? - limited by memory?) so stuff gets rolled off automatically as it is. Displaying time ordered entries instead of collapsed entries would just mean specific old entries would roll off sooner (and processing time would not be spent collapsing/deleting matching past entries).

I agree, it would be nice to have an option for this. I can think of a few situations where such a feature would have been useful, even temporarily.
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

Problem would be that those time-ordered entries could rapidly fill the screen (think of two people making 90sec transmissions in a back&forth), while entries for someone who only popped in once disappears quite rapidly.

The current scheme would have the "two people" taking turns at the top of the screen, with the rest of the screen showing callsigns of those who'd appeared during whatever time period (I'm certain entries get expired after some duration of inactivity -- 90 minutes [I just looked, and I show 67 minutes of coverage]).

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
w7efs

Post by w7efs »

AF6VN wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:02 pm ... (I'm certain entries get expired after some duration of inactivity -- 90 minutes [I just looked, and I show 67 minutes of coverage]).
/var/www/dashboard/mmdvmhost/lh.php indicates that the "Last Heard" section of the dashboard is limited to the last 20 calls. It's easy to edit the determining line #21, but the file gets overwritten with updates.
KN2TOD

Post by KN2TOD »

Thanks W7EFS! Wonderful tip! I've taken your suggested modification and encoded it as a script that can easily be run anytime the modification gets unwound. Turns out the mod takes effect immediately, no reboot required, so if one notices the activity depth has reverted back, pop over to SSH and run the mod again.

#!/bin/bash
#rpi-rw
sudo mount -o remount,rw / ; sudo mount -o remount,rw /boot
sudo sed -i 's/($i <= 19)/($i <= 29)/g' /var/www/dashboard/mmdvmhost/lh.php
#rpi-ro
sudo mount -o remount,ro / ; sudo mount -o remount,ro /boot

(Stored as "lhmod.sh" in /home/pi-star/ with the Execute attribute turned on: Sudo bash lhmod.sh)
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

Next step -- see if you can add that as a cron job so it updates periodically... Presuming crontab doesn't get overwritten by updates... Maybe create a special user account just for the cron jobs?

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
KN2TOD

Post by KN2TOD »

If you're adventurous enough, you can make this modification:

sudo sed -i 's/!(array_search($callUuid, $heardCalls) > -1)/!(array_search($callUuid, $heardCalls) > -1) || file_exists("\/tmp\/lhsw")/g' /var/www/dashboard/mmdvmhost/functions.php

To activate, drop this file into the /tmp directory: sudo echo -n > /tmp/lhsw
To deactivate: sudo rm /tmp/lhsw

(The modification and the toggling of the display can take place in real time without rebooting.)

Your activity log will now display both the start and end times of a particular transmission, but note that the duration gets populated back to the start time entry.

I also suggest you increase the display's depth (as discussed previously) if you expect to run this for heavily traffic TG's.

And note: this is an experimental modification. It hasn't broken anything ... yet. YMMV.