limeSDR mini

General support for the Pi-Star System
hb3xrn

limeSDR mini

Post by hb3xrn »

Hello,

how to use a limeSDR mini and Pi-star on a Raspberry 3 B +?

Thanks in advance
G4FDL

Re: limeSDR mini

Post by G4FDL »

Please explain what you wish to achieve.

Pi-Star is dedicated to controlling and monitoring MMDVMHost software that runs MMDVM hardware. LimeSDR mini is a software defined radio module and so is totally different.
hb3xrn

Post by hb3xrn »

My goal is not to have to buy MMDVM hardware because I already have a limeSDR.

I'm looking to be able to use the capabilities of the limeSDR mini like any MMDVM hardware.

Is it possible for MMDVMHost to recognize a LimeSDR?
Is it possible to install the LimeSDR firmware in MMDVMHost?
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

hb3xrn wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:30 am My goal is not to have to buy MMDVM hardware because I already have a limeSDR.

I'm looking to be able to use the capabilities of the limeSDR mini like any MMDVM hardware.
MMDVM "hardware" is typically a microcontroller running specific firmware (ARM Cortex M3 or M4 with a 70MHz or faster clock)... Download the LimeSDR developers system and port the firmware to whatever the LimeSDR processor has :roll: (some sort of FPGA if I interpret web sites correctly -- so a completely different programming paradigm; you'd be creating a description of gates that emulate whatever processing was being done on the ARM... I don't know how the ~35MHz clock on the LimeSDR would affect things).
Is it possible for MMDVMHost to recognize a LimeSDR?
Is it possible to install the LimeSDR firmware in MMDVMHost?
MMDVMHost runs on the R-Pi under Linux and recognizes a PROTOCOL for how to talk to a MMDVM board -- it doesn't run the firmware of any board itself. Possibly a comparison of the communication protocol used to talk to the LimeSDR vs that used to talk to a MMDVM board may reveal if it is possible to modify MMDVMHost to understand the different protocol. Do you have documentation for them?

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
hb3xrn

Post by hb3xrn »

Thank you for your clarification.
I thought it was easier to integrate new hardware.
I thought that using USB was not a problem.
Zumspot USB Stick or DVAP connects well via USB

When asked if it's easier to buy compatible hardware, yes, it is.
But if I just have to integrate the LimeSDR firmware and explain to MMDVMHost how to use it, with some command line, it's simple.
I am not a programmer and starting to rebuild MMDVMHost completely for that is not in my planning.
W4JEW

Post by W4JEW »

MMDVM != SDR
Check out GeorgiaDMR.net - https://www.georgiadmr.net
And on Groups.io - https://groups.io/g/GeorgiaDMR

Jeff Hochberg
W4JEW
Atlanta, GA
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

W4JEW wrote:MMDVM != SDR
No it isn't. That's why we have specific devices named mmdvm repeater boards or MMDVM hotspot boards. They're all purposefully built with mmdvm in mind.

Also, the other mentioned hardware dvaps etc. (excluding the zum usb (which agn designed for mmdvm use)) Don't run mmdvm they run the previous KLX software dstarrepeater which caters to those legacy hardwares.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.