announcement voice very loud

General support for the Pi-Star System
KC1MYZ

announcement voice very loud

Post by KC1MYZ »

Hi all -

I'm finding that the pre-recorded announcements coming from pi-star (e.g. "not linked") are extremely loud and distorted.

Is this simply lack of calibration of transmit levels on my part or is there some other way to deal with this?

I posted the same question on Reddit and someone said "oh, that's what she's saying" - I think it's a pretty common issue that the voice is unintelligible, so I'd like to be able to solve the issue and help others.

(and yes, I've read through many answers here about it, but the answers have always been either 1) no answer or 2) there's no way to change this - the latter doesn't make sense to me).

Best regards,
Neil
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Re: announcement voice very loud

Post by MW0MWZ »

Is that using a YSF2xxx cross-over mode by any chance ?
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
KC1MYZ

Post by KC1MYZ »

MW0MWZ wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 3:36 pm Is that using a YSF2xxx cross-over mode by any chance ?
Edit: it's definitely the worst on YSF2DMR, but even on DMR it's pretty darn loud. Much louder than any transmission I'd receive.

On my Radioddity GD-73, with the volume at 2 of 8 bars, it's louder than anything I'd want to hear.

On my Yaesu FT-70D via YSF2DMR, with the volume at 4 out of 31, I'm concerned that it's going to damage the speaker.
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

Apparently my operations are much different -- I've never heard an announcement voice on DMR, only D-STAR. What DMR host is being used?

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
KC1MYZ

Post by KC1MYZ »

This is pi-star on MMDVM (with Brandmeister, but not sure that matters). Connecting to talk group 4000 causes the system to "unlink" any talk groups currently linked and leads to the "not linked" voice message on the line.
SP2ONG

Post by SP2ONG »

When I use DMRGateway and enabled voice in configuration

[Voice]
Enabled=1

the audio announcement voice very loud.
2E0EPV

Post by 2E0EPV »

KC1MYZ wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 3:15 pm Hi all -

I'm finding that the pre-recorded announcements coming from pi-star (e.g. "not linked") are extremely loud and distorted.

Is this simply lack of calibration of transmit levels on my part or is there some other way to deal with this?

I posted the same question on Reddit and someone said "oh, that's what she's saying" - I think it's a pretty common issue that the voice is unintelligible, so I'd like to be able to solve the issue and help others.

(and yes, I've read through many answers here about it, but the answers have always been either 1) no answer or 2) there's no way to change this - the latter doesn't make sense to me).

Best regards,
Neil
I agree, every time I disconnect my Radio/Pi-Star the "Not Linked" voice that is yelled at me always makes me jump out of my skin, so I usually turn the volume down on my Radio before I disconnect it from the Pi-Star.

Kyle
Kyle